Discussion topic: moving home, no broadband for 4 days

This message was authored by brooklyn07 This message was authored by: brooklyn07

moving home, no broadband for 4 days

I've  called sky today and given them my move date which is the 14th December, they told me I'd have to have my broadband at my current address disconnected the day before which is a bit of a pain but just about manageable.

I've now been told my switch on date at my new property won't be until the 18th, which is totally unacceptable.

There is no engineer visit needed, I already own the property (just havent moved due to renovating) so not waiting for previous owners to cancel theirs.

The only difference is the new place has FTTP box and my current place has just regular down the phone line broadband.

It doesn't matter so much if it's switched off at my current place a bit earlier because I can use mobile signal off my phone, but my new property is a black hole and has zero mobile signal. I'm working from home so I absolutely must have it switched on by the 14th..

does anyone have any suggestions please?

my next option was going to be to cancel my contract with sky and just go and start a new contract with BT, who told me I can have it switched on within 3 days! but I have 6 months left of my contract with sky so not sure what the penalties would be for cancelling.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: moving home, no broadband for 4 days

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@brooklyn07 you will have been given the first date Openreach can do the work. It is unlikely that BT retail despite can in fact get an earlier date from Openreach as they can only access the same diary as Sky whatever an optimistic salesman might tell you..

You will be charged an early cancellation charge by Sky as detailed here unless they agree to wave it which I would think is unlikely.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
brooklyn07
Topic Author
This message was authored by brooklyn07 This message was authored by: brooklyn07

sorry I don't believe that to be the case for one minute. if I were to move tomorrow you're saying the earliest they could switch it on in the cabinet would be the 18th? not convinced. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@brooklyn07 wrote:

If I were to move tomorrow you're saying the earliest they could switch it on in the cabinet would be the 18th? 

Activation at a new address has a minimum ten working day lead time, so unless you had given something like three weeks notice, then yes.

Remember broadband is not regulated as an essential utility such as electricity or water and there's no assumption of continuity of service.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
brooklyn07
Topic Author

I understand that but how can it go from 4 days to 10 days? if I stick with the 14th as the move date then it gets switched on at the new place on the 18th, so if I then decide to change my move date to the 12th then why would it still be the 18th or later? anyway I've taken out a new contract with another ISP and open reach have confirmed my activation date to be Monday, so I dont know why sky keep telling me its not possible. 

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

Orders are place subject to acceptance and availability, your order with sky was requested for the 14th but accepted for the first date in your area

any new orders with another company will have the issue the date you book is not always what is accepted

your new order with another company may now be also be delayed before being accepted due to a sales query being generated due to there being two orders in progress at the same time at the same address

This message was authored by Starah This message was authored by: Starah

Hi did you manage to get the date brought forward? I'm in  a similar position now x

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion