Discussion topic: Wifi speed is less than 1Mbps even though Sky says it guarantees minimum speed of 50Mpbs

This message was authored by Eliza2 This message was authored by: Eliza2

Wifi speed is less than 1Mbps even though Sky says it guarantees minimum speed of 50Mpbs

I'm getting tired of Sky  and they're **bleep** claims that they offer a minimum guaranteed speed. Even though I have optic fiber in the house and a minimum guaranteed speed on the contract, that speed is maybe a few minutes a day, I can barely load anything on their **bleep**ty internet. This company is all talk and marketing. 

All Replies

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Re: Wifi speed is less than 1Mbps even though Sky says it guarantees minimum speed of 50Mpbs

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Eliza2 Sky, like all ISP's cannot gaurantee a certain speed over a wifi connection.

The minimum download speed is the connection speed either over your phone line, or a fibre connection, up to the router, which is what you are actually paying for. If you post your router stats this will confirm the speed of your connection. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Wifi speed is less than 1Mbps even though Sky says it guarantees minimum speed of 50Mpbs

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Eliza2 

Download speeds are the speeds you get when using the internet for things like browsing, streaming videos, uploading images or using apps. There are two types:

Download speed to your Sky hub when using the internet. This is the one we guaranteed when you started your broadband contract. It’s used in Ofcom's Voluntary Code of Practice and our Sky Speed Guarantee.

Download speed you get to a WiFi connected device when using the internet. It’s normal for this to be lower than the speed to your hub.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/broadband-speeds-explained 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion