Discussion topic: Wifi max and q compatibility

This message was authored by Jonnylatics1985 This message was authored by: Jonnylatics1985

Wifi max and q compatibility

Hi I've read a lot on here about WiFi max not being compatible with a q mini and multiscreen setup as I currently have.

About a week ago a new broadband upgrade option appeared for me (in the added image) to add WiFi max. So I'm confused whether it would this is appearing my mistake or whether they are now compatible. All the latest posts on here say they won't work and I haven't been able to get a definite answer from any calls or live chat with agents. Obviously don't want to go for it if there's a chance it won't work having read other horror stories on here.

IMG_2334.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Wifi max and q compatibility

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jonnylatics1985 Sky have been working on overcoming the issue and last week Superusers were told customers with a main Q box and one mini can now order Wifi Max. The system is apparently imcompatable with more Q minis and the older boosters.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Jonnylatics1985 Sky have been working on overcoming the issue and last week Superusers were told customers with a main Q box and one mini can now order Wifi Max. The system is apparently imcompatable with more Q minis and the older boosters.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Jonnylatics1985
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jonnylatics1985 This message was authored by: Jonnylatics1985

Thanks @Chrisee that's really interesting and super helpful! 🙂

This message was authored by svander1 This message was authored by: svander1

Interesting. So previously you could have 2 mini's working at the same time.  So does that mean you can only have 1 mini working or it just will not work with multiple mini's connected to the mains?  Is that for live TV or also on demand?  Any update as to the future, are they planning to get it to work with multiple mini's?  Thanks

---
Diamond SKY VIP (20years) | 2TB SKY Q Box UHD/HDR (V3) | 4 Mini's | SKY GigaFast BB (924/110Mbps)
SKY WIFI BOOSTER | 4 x EERO PRO 6 MESH | LG OLED 65" C1 (2021) & | Samsung Atmos Sound Bar
RETURNED SKY Glass, but interested in a STREAMING future
SKY Signature | Ultimate TV | SKY Cinema | Ultra HD | SKY Kids
4 SKY Mobile contracts | Alexa & Home Automation Enthusiast
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@svander1 

Presumably it means that at the moment Sky just won't offer it to any address with more than one Mini box.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@svander1 

I think you have misunderstood.

There has been no change to how many Sky Q mini boxes can be used at once. The change has been that if a customer has 1 or less Sky Q mini boxes or boosters they can now order Sky Max. If they have more than 1 mini box or booster then they can't order it

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by svander1 This message was authored by: svander1

Thank you, I just read: The system is apparently imcompatable with more Q minis and the older boosters.

But not being able to order it doesn't mean it's imcompatible.  I wonder why you can not order it then. 

---
Diamond SKY VIP (20years) | 2TB SKY Q Box UHD/HDR (V3) | 4 Mini's | SKY GigaFast BB (924/110Mbps)
SKY WIFI BOOSTER | 4 x EERO PRO 6 MESH | LG OLED 65" C1 (2021) & | Samsung Atmos Sound Bar
RETURNED SKY Glass, but interested in a STREAMING future
SKY Signature | Ultimate TV | SKY Cinema | Ultra HD | SKY Kids
4 SKY Mobile contracts | Alexa & Home Automation Enthusiast
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@svander1 

It'll be because the Q system mesh technology is getting on 10yrs old now. It will never be able to cope with the speeds that Sky Max is designed for.

It would look bad on Sky if they sell someone Sky Max promising WiFi 6 & super fast WiFi speeds but then the customer already has Sky Q mesh so suddenly its not all WiFi 6 and the speeds will be much lower.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion