Discussion topic: WiFi so bad I HAVE to use 4G!

This message was authored by Mrs_H This message was authored by: Mrs_H

WiFi so bad I HAVE to use 4G!

I really am sick of the Sky WiFi. Broadband connection says it's good, speed is good. We have Sky Q, mini boxes, and 3 internet boosters around the house and STILL the WiFi connection on my phone is so slow, I have to switch to 4G constantly to get it to work. I've used an extra 24GB this month alone from my roll bank - not that there's much left in it now, and have 10GB per month as standard. My data refreshes in 10 days!

This is a joke. What exactly can be done about it?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: WiFi so bad I HAVE to use 4G!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mrs_H you should be able to connect but part of your issue could be too many boosters the maximum number of nodes. A Sky Q mesh network should have is 8 counting the hub, main Q box, Q minis and Sky boosters each as one. Where you exceed thst number the network will become unstable.

More Wifi is often worse wifi so start by powering down the boosters. Then reconnect them one by one remembering to place them half way between the hub and the area you need the signal. Each Q box acts as a wifi hot spot so you wont need a booster close to one of those. However do not exceed 8 nodes in total. See if thst helps.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Mrs_H
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mrs_H This message was authored by: Mrs_H

Thanks for the advice. Tried that, it still doesn't make the connection any quicker and I've ended up having to use an extra 2gb data from my piggy bank since this message. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mrs_H if you are expecting Sky to compensate you for 4g data use you will be disapointed. Wifi issues can be complicated to solve as there are multiple potential causes including the lay out and type of construction of your home, where the hub is positioned and the level of interference from your neighbour's networks and your own electrical kit to name a few. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion