Discussion topic: Why don’t sky just leave things be with smart plugs

This message was authored by Kirstylee4366 This message was authored by: Kirstylee4366

Why don’t sky just leave things be with smart plugs

I have had two smart plugs for ages and one of them suddenly stopped working - now I see it's something to do with the hub or router ! Sky stop messing around and give us a service ! Sick of my wifi stopping and everything crashing ! Why can't you just do your job and fix these things you created in the first place! I have no idea how to sort this issue and spend too much of my time sorting my own sky rubbish signal and cut outs 

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Why don’t sky just leave things be with smart plugs

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kirstylee4366  I'm afriad you're not talking to Sky via the forum, and it's unlikely Sky are doing anything to your smart plugs, but more likely a wifi issue.

Nothing will happen in response to a forum post as this is a customer helps customer forum.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kirstylee4366 Sky have made no changes to the operation of their hubs recently so you are probably blaming the wrong thing. However as @GD1 points out wifi conditions in your home can change and are far more likely the issue also smart plugs can fail which is another possibility. 

Smart plugs normally use the 2.4GHz wifi band which often suffers interference from your neighbour's wifi network or from other wireless devices. As a first step reboot your Sky hub which will cause it to find the least congested channel to use when it restarts.

You can change the channel manually if you prefer by logging onto the hub by typing 192.168.0.1 into a broswer when the hub's interface loads click on the Wifi tab you will be asked to sign in the username is admin the password will be either sky or tgecwifi passcode on the hub's label depending on which model hub you have. Open the 2.4GHz tab and you can manually enter the channel you want to use try ch1,6,12, 3 or 9 to find the best in your home. 

Its also worth trying seeing if you can increase the positioning of the hub especially if its on the floor or worse behind electrical kit. Best place is on a shelf or table above things like radiaters that block the signals.

Hope that helps. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Merlin77 This message was authored by: Merlin77

Hi

Hate to say it i think OP could be right.

As i have the same problem around the end October/early November. 

Around when my contract ran out.

Same happened 18 months ago and 18 month before.

And each time i asked for a new hub with the new contract. 

My smart sockets work fine in other peoples homes just not mine( so sockets fine).

I even tried setting up a netgear wifi hub with a new ssid and channel, 

hardwired to sky hub and still the same.

Fault is something to do with DHCP/IP allocation. 

A friend of mine has a small business with sky as his provider, and had to pay for a static IP address to stop things falling off his wifi.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Internet where men are men, women are men
and children are FBI agents.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion