Discussion topic: Very slow connection speeds after ordering FTTP

This message was authored by LJSMITH This message was authored by: LJSMITH

Very slow connection speeds after ordering FTTP

Evenin' all.

Late last week I put in the order to upgrade from our current ADLS based Sky Broadband to Ultrafast 1. The installtion is due to be completed Monday 25th.

Since the weekend our internet speeds have been terrible. We usually average aprox. 22Mbps but its dropped to < 5. Intermittantly it will spike back up but that never lasts longer than a couple of hours.

Anyone seen anything like this before?stats.JPGspeed.JPG

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Very slow connection speeds after ordering FTTP

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LJSMITH your hub is connected at 22Mb/s down which looks right for the length of your line. A speed test run on a device connected by ethernetvdhould be around 20Mb/s. Tests run over wifi are often slower as wifi speeds are affected by interference and attenuation from solid objects.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
LJSMITH
Topic Author

Thanks for the reply but the screenshot I posted of the speed test was from my PC connected via ethernet. I'm aware of how Wi-Fi works and that it can be slower, in this case though I'm testing from devices connected with 5m cat5e cable to the router.

Nothing has changed network wise since we placed the order, it's just slower down.

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@LJSMITH Take a look at your broadband speed history by logging into your account, As you say, if your line was dropping for issues, it can take 24hrs to clear, so no matter how much you test it will be the same, then when system stabilises it will go back up to normal.

LJSMITH
Topic Author

Thanks but I'm not sure I understand. Where should I sign in and what speeds am I looking for?

The issue started the day after we placed the order for FTTP. Nothing else has changed and I have a friend on the street who is not seeing this same issue. Since then the delivered speed has dropped to sub 5Mbps. On a couple of occasions it has spiked back up and felt more normal but that didn't last long.

This message was authored by Andy88875 This message was authored by: Andy88875

I switched from BT to Sky ..... and have the same issue.

I was getting a steady connection before with BT..... now with Sky - nightmare!

Yes - I understand that there can be a flucuation in speeds during the first few days, but going from 3MB down to 40MB down then back to 2MB is terribile ..... especially when there is a 'guaranteed' speed for my line of 'at least 55MB' !!

This happens with both Wi-Fi and hardwired ethernet cables

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LJSMITH 

Is there anything on your network that might be downloading a big file or uploading lots? Have you tried running a 'quiet' network test?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion