Discussion topic: Using a TP Link Mesh system

This message was authored by RenuandPaul This message was authored by: RenuandPaul

Using a TP Link Mesh system

Hi - I have Sky Broadband, c/w the Sky provided router. WiFi coverage is poor (even with the 'boost' service addition).

I also now have a new TP Link Deco M9 mesh system - three discs. I would like to use them with this router, but apparently I cannot, as I cannot switch the Sky router into modem mode.

I don't have SK TV or phone - just Broadband. 

Is there a workaround where I can use my mesh discs? I am not a techie, but can follow guidance 🙂

I know that I need to ethernet cable one of the 3 discs to the Sky router, and then place the others around the house, but will I end up with wifi conflicts between the sky router and my mesh system trying to broadcast wifi at thesame time - can i some how turn off the wif output from the sky router?

Thanks

Paul 

Best Answers
This message was authored by MattA This message was authored by: MattA Answer

Re: Using a TP Link Mesh system

If you configure the TP-Link devices to operate in access point mode rather than router mode and disable WIFI on the SKy Router the TP-Link devices will work as intended.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by MattA This message was authored by: MattA Answer

If you configure the TP-Link devices to operate in access point mode rather than router mode and disable WIFI on the SKy Router the TP-Link devices will work as intended.

RenuandPaul
Topic Author
This message was authored by RenuandPaul This message was authored by: RenuandPaul

Many thanks Matt. I will give that a go. I can't seem to find a login for my Sky router though - I can find the landing page 182.168.0.1 but no prompt to enter login / password. Just a summary status with options all of which are not available as I haven't logged in....

RenuandPaul
Topic Author

Ah - worked it out (wrong browser - edge didn't bring up the admin login box, but chrome does)

Many thanks again  Matt 

This message was authored by tonymartini This message was authored by: tonymartini

TP-Link Deco S4 AC1200 Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi System

Does this apply to this model of mesh unit? TIA

This message was authored by KeithatSleaford This message was authored by: KeithatSleaford

I've got my tp-link Deco S4 working on Sky Broadband tonight. If you create a new SSID on the tp-link app you can leave Sky WiFi running until you have the mesh stabilised. Then just log into the Sky Router and switch off WiFi before going back into the tp-link app to change the SSID and password to whatever you had for Sky.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion