Discussion topic: Using Sky with Asus Router

This message was authored by candrews99 This message was authored by: candrews99

Using Sky with Asus Router

Hi all,

I currently have BT via VDSL2 (no fibre in my area yet). I am using an Asus RT-AC86u as my main router, connected via an EchoLife HG612 Openreach modem, and an RT-AX56u in AiMesh using Ethernet Backhaul. I am leaving BT on 26/02, and I would like to be able to setup my main router as soon as our connection starts.

I have done some reading, people say that PPPoE is only used in Ireland for Sky (I live in Northern Ireland), which is what I am currently using for BT, and I keep seeing mentions of DHCP Option 61. Can someone kindly give insight into what settings to apply, usernames and passwords to be used on the Asus router etc, things to look out for etc.

Thanks!

Chris.

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: Using Sky with Asus Router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@candrews99 

That should work.  Check out a setting called client identifier (option 61 and enter 

anything@skydsl|anything

The echolife may already have a vlan id tag of 101 if not its easy to set up on the asus

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@candrews99 

That should work.  Check out a setting called client identifier (option 61 and enter 

anything@skydsl|anything

The echolife may already have a vlan id tag of 101 if not its easy to set up on the asus

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

candrews99
Topic Author
This message was authored by candrews99 This message was authored by: candrews99

, I Re: Using Sky with Asus Router

Thank you for your response. Had a quick look at the settings on the router last night, I see nothing for DHCP option, or class identifiers, I wonder if this is because I have Merlin running on it, or perhaps because I still have PPPoE selected as my WAN connection type (I don't want to change or break anything just yet).

As for the VLAN tag, a quick Google brought up plenty of videos on how to set this up, so this shouldn't be an issue when I have to set everything else up.

I've also read that people say you should leave your Sky router plugged in for a while, some say a couple of hours, others up to 10 days?! Others have also mentioned that Sky have cut their connection for using 3rd party equipment, surely this isn't the case in 2024?

Thanks again for all your help so far!

Chris. 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@candrews99 

Could you post a screen shot of you wan screen settings

candrews99
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk

Here you go, thanks again!

Screenshot_20240214_175514_Samsung Internet.jpg

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@candrews99 

Pppoa needs changed to auto ip . This should bring up client identifier (option 61)

candrews99
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk

Thought as much... Won't change anything until I am setting the router up for use with Sky. Thanks again, hopefully there won't be any head scratching come the 26th 😅

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@candrews99 

You can freely change the drop down option & browse the settings without breaking anything as long as you dont hit apply.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
candrews99
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk

I'm back... 

This is proving rather difficult. I have set WAN connection type to Automatic IP, option 61 field populated with "anything@skydsl|anything", WAN MTU is 1500 and DHCP query frequency is "normal mode".

IPv6 is set to native, nothing else changed under this menu.

Dual WAN is enabled, primary WAN set to Ethernet LAN (LAN port 1) and secondary WAN is set to WAN.

Finally, under the IPTV tab, ISP profile is set to "manual setting" and Internet VID is 101.

Unsure if I am supposed to connect cable from Echolife to WAN port on router or LAN port 1. Either which way, I get no connection. I've included photos of any of the settings I have altered, excuse the camera photos, no Internet connection 😅

I hope this is something glaringly obvious I am missing. 

Thanks! 

20240226_224132.jpg

20240226_224144.jpg

20240226_224212.jpg

20240226_224224.jpg

20240226_224240.jpg

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@candrews99 

Remove the VLAN setting of 101 on the Asus as this is built into the modem you are using to connect to the VDSL2 broadband line, leave the Asus router and modem off for half an hour then reconnect everything and it should work fine, hopefully.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
candrews99
Topic Author

@mae-3

Thanks for your response at this time. 

Should I also revert the settings under Dual WAN? I have to assume these settings are not needed or are incorrect anyway?

I have now switched everything off for half an hour, fingers crossed. 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@candrews99 

Yes, disable the dual WAN as well as only 1 WAN is set up for Sky.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
candrews99
Topic Author

@mae-3

That has done it!! Absolute legend! Who would have thought it was that VLAN tag this whole time... Binned it, reset Dual WAN settings, didnt have the patience to wait half an hour, and away it went! Thank you so much! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion