Discussion topic: Upload speeds on all but one device are tanked

This message was authored by WormAtWorldsEnd This message was authored by: WormAtWorldsEnd

Upload speeds on all but one device are tanked

So....the weirdest thing is happening.

I hate gigabit fibre (Sky Fibre Ireland) to the home and download speeds are up there at 800 Mb/s and uploads has always been around 70-90 Mb/s which is great.

Suddenly, overnight, the upload speeds have dropped to 10 and downloads have remained the same, however, using the SpeedTest tracker on my UnRaid Server, the speeds are consistently 75Mb/s but nothing else in the house is whether it's wired or wireless.  The ISP says, well the connection to the house is obviously fine if one device is working.

I've tried different cables, used the UnRaid cat5e cable on the Mac, moved all the ethernet ports around, turned off wi-fi, hard reset the router and nothing makes any difference.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on and how to fix it?

All Replies

This message was authored by FionnAnseo This message was authored by: FionnAnseo

Re: Upload speeds on all but one device are tanked

I have the same issue with Sky Ireland at the moment also where my Upload speeds are completely shot.... download is totally fine.

I dont however have any device with good upload speed everything is 10-12meg max... always with previous supplier had pretty consistent 50meg (on 500meg connection).

A text support engineer "reset" my speeds on his end but it changed nothing. 

WormAtWorldsEnd
Topic Author
This message was authored by WormAtWorldsEnd This message was authored by: WormAtWorldsEnd

interesting.....seems as though they're nuking uploads for some reason.

This message was authored by FionnAnseo This message was authored by: FionnAnseo

Hopefully its a temporary thing. If not ill be issuing complaints and if needs be they can release me from contract so I can get service im paying for!

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@WormAtWorldsEnd 

@FionnAnseo 

Similar issue reported recently

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Slow-upload-speed-on-1Gb-Ultrafast-Max-plan-Ireland/td-p/4597...

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
WormAtWorldsEnd
Topic Author

It's much weirder for me because I have an UnRaid Server on the network for all my media files and that still has the fast upload, it's the only device on the network that does.

WormAtWorldsEnd
Topic Author

@cookiemonsterukthat's really helpful, thanks, have asked to be escalated.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@WormAtWorldsEnd 

@FionnAnseo 

Please keep an eye on this forum using a chrome browser

I've escalated your posts via the community chat. This link explains how it works

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

Keep an eye out for an invite or red and blue chat bubble. When the blue bubble does appear you have 48 hours to respond or it will be automatically closed.

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there! Thank you for escalating this. We have sent an invite to @FionnAnseo and @WormAtWorldsEnd.

Thanks im away for next week so, chatting to the expert at the moment hopefully they can help but as I was on with support yesterday im not sure. If it gets solved for anyone do post back!

WormAtWorldsEnd
Topic Author

@Addie15 

Thought it worth posting this here as well as talking to someone on tech support as it seems quicker this way.

As an update:

Someone from Eir called me to test the lines before an engineer arrives tomorrow to take a look at my setup.

We talked through my situation and he briefly swapped my internet provider to do a test (presumably to Eir).  My connection went back to what it should be, super low ping, 1Gib down and 100 Up.  Then he put me back to Sky and ping went up, 900 down 10up.

So, the problem is not in my house, not at the exchange but with some configuration somewhere outside managed by whoever the third party provider is that sky uses in Ireland.

The very lovely person I was talking to on the phone said to still let the engineer come out tomorrow even though they won't be able to find a problem here as there isn't one.

It very much feels like someone pressed a button they should'nt have and my line is now being restricted.

Any further help on what to do next? 

WormAtWorldsEnd
Topic Author

@Addie15 

For reference here are the results, top line is Sky Fibre, second line is the other provider, same network lines to the exchange.

Screen Shot 2024-04-03 at 12.46.23 PM.png

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion