Discussion topic: Unstable WiFi on sky ultrafast plus with TP link mesh

This message was authored by OSil This message was authored by: OSil

Unstable WiFi on sky ultrafast plus with TP link mesh

I have been on sky ultrafast plus for couple of months. WiFi on the sky router was fine but about a month ago I turned off WiFi at the sky router and connected TP link AX1800 WiFi 6 router to the sky router directly. Then used TP link deco s4 AC1200 to create a mesh. Some times the WiFi keeps dropping and comes back up instantly. Teams calls get cut off randomly and some web pages takes ages to load from the phone (when switched to 4g it works). I can't figure out what's going on. Any advice from you all would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Unstable WiFi on sky ultrafast plus with TP link mesh

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@OSil if the Sky hub's internet light is green the issue will be down to your TP-Link set up. I use a Deco system myself for wifi but in mine the Deco units are connected directly to the Sky hub and run in access point mode not connected via a second router.  That set up can introduce complexities as you have a Double NAT system which could be part of your issue. 

Calls using teams are sensitive to packet loss so its worth checking you dont have a wifi interference problem, if you have an.Android phone an app called Wifi Analyzer will show you all wifi signals in range with their channels. It has been known for the Sky hubs to lose settings when updated so check its wifi has not switched back on. 

Delays in loading web pages can be down to Sky's DNS system hanging which is an issue some customers hit - it depends on the server managing your connection - personally I set my devices to use either Sky's DNS or Google's public DNS by adding 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 onto the device settings. You could do the same on your TP-Link router if you keep thst rather than passing DNS traffic to Sky's servers but you will lose the Broadband Shield if you do that.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@OSil You could look in the sky router log to see if anything regarding the ethernet port for the TP connection is showing up / disconnecting, but does sound like you have a mesh error, also the tp-link log may show you something. Log the time down when you have the error issue, and look in both places to see if anything is apparent.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@OSil if the Sky hub's internet light is green the issue will be down to your TP-Link set up. I use a Deco system myself for wifi but in mine the Deco units are connected directly to the Sky hub and run in access point mode not connected via a second router.  That set up can introduce complexities as you have a Double NAT system which could be part of your issue. 

Calls using teams are sensitive to packet loss so its worth checking you dont have a wifi interference problem, if you have an.Android phone an app called Wifi Analyzer will show you all wifi signals in range with their channels. It has been known for the Sky hubs to lose settings when updated so check its wifi has not switched back on. 

Delays in loading web pages can be down to Sky's DNS system hanging which is an issue some customers hit - it depends on the server managing your connection - personally I set my devices to use either Sky's DNS or Google's public DNS by adding 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 onto the device settings. You could do the same on your TP-Link router if you keep thst rather than passing DNS traffic to Sky's servers but you will lose the Broadband Shield if you do that.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion