Discussion topic: Turning off sky router wifi

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Turning off sky router wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BenGG 

Chrome on Android works fine and has done so for the six years I've been posting.

Do you have any of the additional Apple 'privacy' settings enabled?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@BenGG I use my iPad Pro and iPhone to view and post on the community using Chrome and Safari without any problem as do many other users so there is something wrong in your set up somewhere. 

As to viewing the Sky hub's interface I find I can log in using Safari but without fail it requires two attempts. When editing my Hub's settings I use a windows device but I have been succesful with Chrome in the past but it took a number of atrempts.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by BenGG This message was authored by: BenGG

Managed this easily today from my laptop. Wasn't possible from my iPhone using chrome.

This message was authored by SJJ144 This message was authored by: SJJ144

Hi there, I'm going through the same process having decided to replace the rubbish SKY Mini's and installed a Deco XE75 mesh with apple TV's in satelite rooms. I access SKY through the SKY GO App on the apple TV's. Seems good so far.

Next step is to ditch the SKY router and SKY Q when my contract is up for renewal, hopefully with a Fibre connection.

Simon

This message was authored by SJJ144 This message was authored by: SJJ144

I have posted about this previously, unfortunately can't find that post.
I have Sky Broadband sky q main box and had 3 Sky Q mini boxes.

Because Connectivity to the mini's is unreliable and the WiFi slows down once or twice a week, I decided to ditch the sky q mini's and use Apple TV. 

To replace the Sky Mini wifi mesh functionality I installed TPLink Deco XE75 mesh WiFi, I live in a three story town house with 60+ smart devices (bulbs, radiators etc etc)

I use Ethernet over power where practical. 

I have done the following.

1. Set the three Deco's in AP mode 
  2. Connected one Deco to the Sky Hub for internet access
  3. Created a new SSID on the deco system and connected  all my devices
  4. Removed the skyq mini boxes
  5. Connected the Apple TV devices Ethernet over power
  6. Turned off Sky WiFi on the Sky hub router both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands
  7. Connected the Sky Q box to one of the Deco's 
  8. Turned off the 5 ghz band on the Sky q box
  9. Deco backhaul connected Ethernet over power

It all worked for a short while but then I lost all the deco WiFi. I noticed Sky Q had turned the 5ghz band back on. 

After trying various things, I reversed steps 6 to 8 and the deco WiFi came back up, but I am concerned about interference. 

Any suggestions to permanently remove the Sky WiFi? Have I missed something ? Is there a specific order I need to do this in ?

thanks in advance for any ideas. 

simon

This message was authored by warbkingtonlounge This message was authored by: warbkingtonlounge

I have set up my deco m5 mesh in AP mode and unchecked wifi boxes x4 on each of the 5 and 2.4 Ghz. The WiFi led is out and router is showing wifi as disabled. 

However, the ssid is still visible on my network and I can still connect to it wirelessly. 

This should no be the case should it?

@warbkingtonlounge most likely cause is a Sky Q box or a Sky booster.both of which offer a wifi hotspot with the router's SSID. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by fhames This message was authored by: fhames

I have unchecked all three boxes on 2G and 5G. 

The WiFi SSID is still visible and still accessible. I am connected to it now as I write this.

This network here, in red, the one the admin shows me is disabled. https://imgur.com/a/BOvo5I8 

Please tell me if I'm missing something obvious, but if I use the router settings to turn off WiFi access point and not to broadcast the SSID, and the settings tell me that WiFi access point and SSID broadcast are disabled, then should the WiFi access point be disabled and the SSID not broadcast?

This message was authored by fhames This message was authored by: fhames

Further to my above post I found this 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Turning-off-Wi-Fi-on-sky-Q-box/td-p/4312244

which refers to a hidden menu where you can stop the tv box working as a WiFi hotspot.

OF COURSE IT'S A SECRET HIDDEN MENU AND THE ****ING TV BOX WAS ACTING AS A WIFI HOTSPOT IT'S SO OBVIOUS WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS 

This message was authored by Mojo2 This message was authored by: Mojo2

Thanks for all this advice. I had the same recurrent problem of the Sky router wifi settings switching back on each time I unticked the three element described above. I have a Sky puck in my system for the TV, and (similar to the issue with the Q) when I unplugged this (power and HDMI), the boxes remained unticked at both 2.5 and 5Ghz. So far so good.  My three Linksys AX 4200 nodes (operating in bridge mode, one 'primary'  and the other two linked to the primary by ethernet) all seem to be working fine with minimal drop in Mbps across the house. Lets see if all good tomorrow.

This message was authored by RH1011 This message was authored by: RH1011

Had the same problems as everyone else, really frustrating.

I initially solved Sky Q and mini dropouts by connecting the main Q box and 2 minis by powerline adapters which were connected to the Sky Hub (SR203) however WiFi range remained a problem and recently I added a Deco X50 mesh system to try solve this. Unfortunately the Deco's just wouldn't work right, initially throttling WiFi and ethernet speeds (reducing 500/50 to about 100/5) then just losing internet connection completely. 

These have now been returned and I'm thinking of just getting a single Asus XT9, Google WiFi pro or an Eero (6+, 6e or 6e pro).

The hope is that I can put one of the above in AP mode, connect it to the Sky Hub, turn off WiFi on the Sky Hub and connect the powerline adapters to new router (keeping the WiFi off on the Sky Q box and minis). 

Assuming that this all should be possible and that I'll retain stable TV connection and better WiFi, is there anything else that needs to be done (do I need to reset network connection in the Sky Q box and minis and reconnect via the powerline adapters, ensuring WiFi is off on the entire Sky system)?

@Chrisee I've read a lot of your posts which have been really helpful and would be particularly interested in your thoughts.

Additional information:

I need to keep the Sky Hub in the mix for landline;

I'm on a FTTP connection (ONT box);

I'm living in Ireland (so PPPoE).

Thanks in advance for any assistance/input.

This message was authored by BenGG This message was authored by: BenGG

Forget extenders. Just get the Google WiFi system with as many points as you need. It meshes itself together using 5ghz backhaul and just works. Plug the main one into your broadband router with an Ethernet cable and turn off WiFi on the broadband router. Your Google WiFi then provides WiFi to the whole home and sky stream / glass devices if you have them.  Ethernet cable from any of the Google WiFi points to Sky q if still using that. Extenders cause havoc with Sky and ring doorbells etc as they create different sub networks and are a rubbish sticking plaster to the issue.

@BenGG Thanks, that's what I was hoping would be the case with the Deco X50 system but that ended up being a nightmare. I'm happy to get a decent mesh system that just works, ideally one that allows for up to 1gb connection but no issues with getting a 6e system if that's going to be better and more stable in the long run.

I'm in a (more or less) standard size 2 story home with brick walls (I'd say about 1300/1500 sq feet). I'm not sure if a mesh system is overkill and if adding one creates more problems then would a standalone system that can be added to in the future if needed/when I no longer have Sky Q and mini's, be a better approach?

@RH1011 I think there are two potential problems. First there appears to be an issue where if there are Sky Q boxes in the network ethernet speeds can be throttled to around 100Mb/s quite why is not known but Sky have acknowledged they are aware of the issue but I think it is unlikely to be sorted given that Sky Q is beginning to be run down as Sky moves to a streaming platform.

The second running Sky q boxes with third party wifi is always challenging as the Q boxes wifi tends to fill the 2.4GHz band and by default ch 36 yo 52 in the 5GHz band although it is possible to configure it thecsystem to use ch 36 to 44 or ch44 to ch52. My own experience is thst Deco systems can be configured to avoid interference as they can use higher channels not sure on the Google system. 

I managed quite well just using Q boxes for wifi but I used powerline adapters to help with the backhaul but you will.not get that good speeds but in practice that may not matter too much as oddly very few apps can use much over 100Mb/s except when downloading.

I moved to Sky Stream which actually works very well and removes the compromises Sky Q causes as the boxes are simple network clients. Then it is simply to turn off the Sky  wifi and use any mesh system you want in a access point configuration.

@Chrisee Thanks, that's interesting re Sky Q and moving to Sky Stream might be the way to go (although I believe you can't record anything using stream which might be a problem for the wife). 

On the throttling issue, I don't get this when using the Sky Hub and the powerline adapters, this only happen when I introduced the Deco system (which I thought was odd).

In your experience are the sky devices stable? I'd seen somewhere else that someone replaced the minis with a couple of Apple TVs and used Sky Go via those but I didn't think that Sky Go contained all of the channels in your package so that may not be a solution either.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion