Discussion topic: Turning off sky router wifi

This message was authored by NikBrad This message was authored by: NikBrad

Turning off sky router wifi

Hi

Ive just configured a netgear mesh system and set up all devices to hook on, the mesh system is connected to the SKY router(4.2) via ethernet.

How do i turn off the 5.0 & 2.4 wifi ?  everytime i uncheck the boxes and click apply the hub page drops off line and when i re-cionnect the check boxes are still ticked. Ive tried this with an ethernet cable straight into the router and exactly the same thing happens.

Spoke to SKY they said we dont really help people who want to do this?  yet its an option

your help would be appritiated

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Turning off sky router wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mrandyc 

There are three boxes you need to untick

- Enable WiFi Access Point

- Enable WPS

- Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)

Note you may need to do this on both the 2.4ghz & 5ghz tabs

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

NikBrad
Topic Author
This message was authored by NikBrad This message was authored by: NikBrad

Turning off sky router wifi

Hi

Ive just configured a Netgear mesh system connected via ethernet to my sky router (4.2), but i cannot turn the SKY wifi off?  I have the wifi split (2.4 & 5.0) but when i uncheck the tick boxes the screen disappears and when i return to the router page the wifi is still enabled.

Can anyone help please?  Do i have to connect to the router via ethernet?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@NikBrad 

Best to use chrome as your browser or an etherneted device.

Also to disable wifi you don't need to seperate the wifi bands just untick enable wifi on both 2.4 and 5 ghz in the wifi settings

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@NikBrad  You already posted the same question here https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Turning-off-sky-router-wifi/td-p/3889800

Your 1st thread has been responded to, I would read the response to that thread and raise any additonal questions within that thread.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by mrandyc This message was authored by: mrandyc

Hi,

I'm also wanting to disable wifi.  I cannot see an option which says Enable wifi.  I've unticked:

Enable Wireless Access Point
Enable WPS

Is there another option I need to change as it is still appearing as an available network.
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@mrandyc 

There are three boxes you need to untick

- Enable WiFi Access Point

- Enable WPS

- Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)

Note you may need to do this on both the 2.4ghz & 5ghz tabs

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by mrandyc This message was authored by: mrandyc

Thanks, I'm sorted. 

This message was authored by Urneyman This message was authored by: Urneyman

Help

i have logged into my router and untick all the relevant boxes

using my ASUS app I am trying to create a mesh network but it can not connect to router

the sky router and Asus are connect by Ethernet cable using wan port

any ideas

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Your Asus router may need to be in Access Point mode if your connecting it to the Sky Hub @Urneyman 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by StephenB2121 This message was authored by: StephenB2121

Just so people are aware- you need to get into the router settings on New Sky Hub- you open a browser then in the address bar type 192.168.0.1 - then click on wireless - then enter username: admin (in lower case)  password: the wifi password printed on the router.  Then uncheck all the 3 boxes above. 

This message was authored by christoph2212 This message was authored by: christoph2212

I've been trying to do this for the last few days.

I can log into the router and deselect the three boxes but the internet page drops out and the boxes are selected again.

Trying to do this via my iphone.

Many thanks

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@christoph2212 wrote:

I've been trying to do this for the last few days.

I can log into the router and deselect the three boxes but the internet page drops out and the boxes are selected again.

Trying to do this via my iphone.

Many thanks

Try using a different browser to Safari or better still, a device connected via an Ethernet cable @christoph2212 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by ADavies This message was authored by: ADavies

I have also tried disabling wifi on the Sky router by unticking the Enable wifi etc boxes in both 2.4+5ghz wifi settings and using my reliable Netgear WiFi access point to do the trick instead via ethernet but for some reason the Sky wifi turns itself back on for short spells each day and the router bottle necks the ethernet connection. To stop my devices jumping between my Netgear WiFi and Sky WiFi I've had to turn off auto connect or forget Sky WiFi on each device.

Currently though because of the ethernet bottle neck which brings down the whole network and to keep Sky support happy I've disconnected my Netgear kit and reverted to Sky only for the time being, as I'm having issues with my Broadband connection dropping out.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@ADavies the hub should not switch on its wifi if you have switched it off in the hub's interface and the change has stuck. There is an issue with some browser not allowing changes to stick in particular Safari I find using Chrome on a windows PC is reliable.

If you have Sky Q boxes though youbshould be aware the main Q box will continue to radiate a Skky SSID as that is required by Q minis which cannot connect using your Netflix wifi. If you just have a single Sky Q box you can turn off its 5GHz wifi to stop this, however do bot switch off the. 2.4GHz b]wifi as that is what yhe main box uses to connect to the Netflix wifi. 

My own Sky hub runs with its wifi off as I use a similar set up as you but with TP-Link units in AP mode.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by LT1982 This message was authored by: LT1982

Hi, I'm having the same problem - did you find a solution? I can only access the 192.168.0.1 page when I'm on my Sky Wi-Fi but when I apply the unchecked boxes the network drops obviously and it won't complete the action 🙈🙈🙈

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion