Discussion topic: Tplink router on fast broadband

This message was authored by Fantail This message was authored by: Fantail

Tplink router on fast broadband

I have been doing more experimenting 
If I plug my sky puck into and Ethernet cable and into the router get 90 mb speed, router gives 850 plus.  If I remove the cable and go to WiFi I get 109 mb why is the direct cable so slow,  cable is cat 8 and only 10 mts long
Geoff Jones

All Replies

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

Re: Tplink router on fast broadband

Sounds like one of the ethernet ports is set to 100Mbps have you tested the cable to make sure it is not faulty?

Fantail
Topic Author

Yes cable works a 980 mb to PC, but only 90mb to a sky puc 

Geoff Jones
This message was authored by Ryan+H This message was authored by: Ryan+H

The sky puck only supports up to 100Mbps via Ethernet. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Fantail Sky Stream pucks only have 100Mb/s ethernet ports fitted which isnt an issue as the highest speed any stream requires is under 50Mb/s having a faster link is pointless as the puck can never use it. The main gain in using ethernet is stability which for streaming is as important as bandwidth and wifi signals can be disrupted  by interference.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Fantail
Topic Author

Thanks for that reply.

The reason for my original question started because u spent 1hr on the phone talking to sky because when using the cable to the puck I was getting buffering and connection errors, sky observed them when they looked into it during the conversation, that's why I went yo wifi and found the errors went away, so I am at a loss to understand why a puck on wired connection is worse than on wifi.

I acknowledge your comments reference you only need 50 mb anyway but the measurements I get indicates that the puck is better on wifi than hard wired, makes no sense unless the pucks are poorly manufactured.

Geoff Jones
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Fantail cant explain that unless the ethernet connection was indirect such as via a wireless bridge or powerline adapters otherwise its a mystery as the ethernet ports are not known to be an issue.  However it is recommended to disable wifi if using ethernet as the units seem to re-connect by wifi if you dont.

For what it is worth my own pucks have used both Ethernet and Wifi and  are stable as a rock on either.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Fantail
Topic Author

Thank you everybody for your comments. I have come to the conclusion that the sky puck products are the cause of the problem  they are not capable of high speeds when wired in. They work better on WiFi 

Geoff Jones

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion