Discussion topic: Too expensive!!

This message was authored by Deangleave01 This message was authored by: Deangleave01

Too expensive!!

Does anyone know why I pay £40 /month for just broadband?? This is absolutely disgusting and an absolute rip-off. £40 a month is absolutely disgusting. I'm sure it started. I thought about £25 and has gone up and up and up

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Too expensive!!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Deangleave01  Your bill details what the charges are for, if you're out of a discounted period then you need to speak to Sky to negotiate a new deal, nothing disgusting about this in any way shape or form as this is what you would have agreed to when you originally took out your contract.

A discounted period normally only lasts for 18 months thereafter will revert to the full list price.  This will also have been explained in your original welcome email & is part of the T & C's you agreed to.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Deangleave01 wrote:

I'm sure it started. I thought about £25 and has gone up and up and up

Well, yes: £25 is the price Sky charges for their 35Mbs social tariff broadband, which is essentially break-even after wholesale and support costs.  Any ISP on the Openreach network has to charge more than that in order to actually make a profit, which is kind of the point of being in business.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Berryb96 This message was authored by: Berryb96

It IS disgusting, gaslighting the customer only enables extortionate prices for average quality service. Even looking at the bill is discounted price and discussing with them will still put on a cycle of new contracts with increasing prices going back and forth. Having to pay that alongside being forced to pay additional freebies as that's default part of the package when the satelite and channels have not works for months. So yes it is disgusting for what you get when there a average providers elsewhere with cheaper rates.

This message was authored by Berryb96 This message was authored by: Berryb96

"Main TV similar to free view channels" not "freebies" typo glitch.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Too expensive!

@Berryb96 Nobody is gaslighting anyone. As a consumer if you are  proactive you get the best deals but if you are lazy you will psy more. Applies to anything you buy.  

Broadband in the UK  is a highly competitive market and given companies like Sky and EE are basically reselling the same Openreach connections the services they all offer are pretty similar. If you dont like the prices switch simple as that its easy to do if moving to another cheaper ISP if they use the Openreach network just call the new supplier agree a deal and they do everything for you you dont have to speak to Sky. Hopefully later this year you will be able toswitch as seamlessly to ISPs using different networks but be careful as many of smaller Altnet companies are selling below cost which is great for the consumer in the short term but the company will go broke if they continue.

You will usually be commmitted for a 18 month period so the ISP can recover the set up costs so if you leave during thst period and you will have to pay a penslty. However with Sky they give you 30 days after the annual price increase notfication to switch without penalty but you will have missed that this year.

If you dont want add-ons like additional wifi kit dont buy them. However dont blame the compsny for pushing add-ons as they are in business to make money and theircsales staff are paid to sell services to you. The secret is research what you need and only buy that nothing more.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion