Discussion topic: Slow internet

This message was authored by RyanSmith This message was authored by: RyanSmith

Slow internet

My internet speeds are ridiculous. Downloads of 1.72mbps and uploads of 0.74mbps. This is just not acceptable. Especially when working from home. 6 years of complaining and still nothing done about this issue. Openreach are a disgrace. Won't run a fibre cable to my property. I live in a rural area but this really shouldn't be an issue. Sky are also a disgrace. Charging me for fibre. Copper lines do not carry a fibre signal. 

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Slow internet

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RyanSmith 

Could you post your hub stats

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@RyanSmith 

Sky likely charge you for Fibre to the Cabinet which is Fibre from Exchange to Cabinet then copper from Cabinet to your home. This is called hybrid fibre and is called fibre by all ISPs. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
RyanSmith
Topic Author

E330A3C7-531F-485F-BC2E-8E3755985917.jpeg

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@RyanSmith 

Definately a line fault

Could you enter your full postal address below and post the table and notes after removing your address from the image.  It will give us an idea of the capabilities

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

@RyanSmith 

When you say you've been complaining for 6yrs have you had engineers out to look at it? With such a poor line like that i would not be surprised if Openreach have condemned the line and Sky have said they would release you from contract.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@RyanSmith wrote:

Openreach are a disgrace. Won't run a fibre cable to my property. I live in a rural area but this really shouldn't be an issue.

It is, of course, a very well known issue: whether a private, shareholder-owned company can or should be required to invest tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds to reach each of the final few percent of properties with FTTP (which won't be until the end of this decade) is a highly contentious topic.  Very roughly speaking the last 10% of addresses will cost 10x and the ultimate 1% 100x the 'average' cost, and that's never going to be viable on purely commercial terms: this then implies massive state subsidy going to investors in what's effectively a monopoly provider.

"Gigabit broadband in the UK: Government targets, policy, and funding" 

Sky are also a disgrace. Charging me for fibre. Copper lines do not carry a fibre signal. 

Historically both Ofcom and the ASA have permitted all ISPs to describe and market Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) as 'fibre', while simultaneously admitting this is very likely to cause customer confusion.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/08/what-is-fibre-broadband-uk-isps-respond-to-ofcoms-call... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
RyanSmith
Topic Author

D6FA82F4-0047-4DF1-8357-0FA0FD74F8F9.jpeg

4EE3469C-C034-4484-A704-8620081F2FEA.jpeg

A33EC867-AACE-4CDC-BC04-1A001A5D20B3.jpeg

3ED03441-A73A-4CBB-8D26-4960655979E6.jpeg

@RyanSmith 

Is there a vdsl row at the top 

RyanSmith
Topic Author

Yes I've had Openreach engineers out plenty of times. Today being the last as there was a fault on the  line and I had no internet at all. I asked the engineer about fibre and he just laughed .

RyanSmith
Topic Author

No that was the whole table of  content that came up when I typed my address in 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@RyanSmith wrote:

I asked the engineer about fibre and he just laughed .

That's probably a clue ; )

I'm afraid if your property is one of the 20% mentioned in the Government briefing paper linked above then it's simply outside the remit of the 'commercial' FTTP rollout, and all bets are off.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@RyanSmith 

Well for starters Sky should not be billing you for superfast broadband since the only product available to you is ADSL (This should as essentials on your bill)

If you go this site https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker and put your address in does it say anything like 'Build planned' above any of the fibre products?

I am NOT a Sky Employee

@RyanSmith 

That is strange. As the mer on your stats signifies an superfast fttc vdsl line.  Although the availability checker shows only adsl and sky states would show as pppoa instead of mer.

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@cookiemonsteruk When i had Sky broadband and could only get ADSL it showed mer on my stats aswell(that was 10+ years ago).

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion