Discussion topic: Sky q booster Ethernet extending

This message was authored by Fluffy01016 This message was authored by: Fluffy01016

Sky q booster Ethernet extending

In my garage I have no wifi signal but I do have a router with a spare Ethernet port. If i plugged in a sky q booster would I get wifi, or does the sky q booster need to be in range of another box to create the mesh?

thanks 

All Replies

This message was authored by Daz1212 This message was authored by: Daz1212

Re: Sky q booster Ethernet extending

Hi the Q booster links to your Q box to extend the wifi. You could get a Booster and link it to your Q Box and move the booster to as near the garage as possible and this should give you WIFI in your garage.

I set something similar for my father inlaw and it work a treat. The model boost which seems to be the best is the Sky Q ‎SE210 Wireless Network Booster from flea bay.

SORRY my bad ----- the Q booster links to your Router. The multiroom box links to your Q box.... 

Fluffy01016
Topic Author
This message was authored by Fluffy01016 This message was authored by: Fluffy01016

Thanks. I already have one booster working like that but was going to get a second and use the internet socket but wasn't sure if the Ethernet on the booster is output only, I.E it can't take an Ethernet input from my router

Hi the ethernet on the booster is output only as i use mine and connect it to a 5 way splitter for my PS, shield pc ect.

Have you thought about home plugs? I believe you can get wifi ones to give you a wifi network from the mains. 

Fluffy01016
Topic Author

I've had honeplugs before but my garage is on a separate ring main with separate consumer board so doubt the signal would get there strong enough. Going to get a booster from ebay and see how it goes

I would get the SE210 not the EE120 if you havent already got the SE one currently.

I also put one in my brother inlaws house who is 3 door down in the terrace from his dad and it is linked to his dads router and goes through 2 other houses to reach his and its giving him 32mb in his house from his dads 39mb at the router.

Fluffy01016
Topic Author

Thanks. I've got the main router and then 2x sky boxes but they're close together. I've also go the se and have just bought another SE for £35 off eBay

fingers crossed it works as planned 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Fluffy01016 wrote:

In my garage I have no wifi signal but I do have a router with a spare Ethernet port. If i plugged in a sky q booster would I get wifi, or does the sky q booster need to be in range of another box to create the mesh?

thanks 

Yes this will work you can connect a booster to an ethernet cable that has an internet connection from your router and it will generate a WiFi signal for you to connect to

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Daz1212 wrote:

Hi the ethernet on the booster is output only

This is incorrect, the ethernet port on Sky boosters can be used for either input or output.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by buck.t144 This message was authored by: buck.t144

Same thing happened to me. I used a TP LINK plugged into my router and the other half I plugged into a sky booster in the garage. The signal runs through the wiring. Perfect. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@buck.t144 your set up using a pair if powerline adapters connected to a Sky booster only works if the booster has an ethernet port.  Currently the batch of boosters Sky supply don't have an ethernet port. While the vast majority of Sky boosters legally belong to Sky so cannot be sold you can sometimes pick up,a used booster on line but people need to check it has an ethernet port first.

All ethernet ports are bidirectional otherwise they simply wouldn't work given every device has to send and receive data.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion