Discussion topic: Sky blocking connection to my email server

This message was authored by SJFR80 This message was authored by: SJFR80

Re: Sky blocking connection to my email server

Yes, mine is more off than on and only on my sky home broadband. Using other providers at friends and family homes and mobile data is fine. How can it be not a sky issue to resolve if so many others are having the same issues. When I last rang them they fixed it the very same day and text me to let me know. So they obviously did something, just a shame it's not a permanent fix ☹️

It appears to be working again this morning, but not sure how long it will last 😂

This message was authored by UserDav This message was authored by: UserDav

@SJFR80 Mine too. Also had a brief spell in the middle of the day yesterday but that didn't last either. 

And it's off ... again! 

Still an ongoing issue 😔

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@SJFR80 

What ports are you using to send and receive email? If it isn't IMAPS (port 993) for receiving and SMTP submission (port 587) for sending then I suggest you change the client package to use these ports which are secure with SSL/TLS.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3 wrote:

@SJFR80 

What ports are you using to send and receive email? If it isn't IMAPS (port 993) for receiving and SMTP submission (port 587) for sending then I suggest you change the client package to use these ports which are secure with SSL/TLS.

Yes those ports are correct. These have been double checked with the email provider and the emails work fine on every other network but SKY. The email provider said there is no issue their end, they said it is more likely that SKY are blocking their server from downloading or sending emails over their network. We use Siteground as our email provider. We have used Siteground for over 10 years and we've been on SKY for the past 7 years and it was working fine, never had an issue until earlier this year! Would love to know why SKY are blocking it and how to get it resolved. It's really frustrating 😔

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SJFR80 wrote:

@mae-3 wrote:

@SJFR80 

Yes those ports are correct. These have been double checked with the email provider and the emails work fine on every other network but SKY. The email provider said there is no issue their end, they said it is more likely that SKY are blocking their server from downloading or sending emails over their network. We use Siteground as our email provider. We have used Siteground for over 10 years and we've been on SKY for the past 7 years and it was working fine, never had an issue until earlier this year! Would love to know why SKY are blocking it and how to get it resolved. It's really frustrating 😔

Neither of those ports mentioned above are blocked on Sky. Both working fine, that I use regularly.
Just setup a new temporary email client to use them and all working fine.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

@lettice wrote:

@SJFR80 wrote:

@mae-3 wrote:

@SJFR80 

Neither of those ports mentioned above are blocked on Sky. Both working fine, that I use regularly.
Just setup a new temporary email client to use them and all working fine.

I know neither of those ports are blocked, I have other emails (gmail and virgin accounts) working fine with the same ports. Siteground said it's more likely that SKY have blocked their server so we can't download and send emails through their network. They checked our IP address and confirmed it wasn't blacklisted too.

@SJFR80 

Can you post an nslookup on the MX records for the mail servers from your broadband connection to confirm DNS on Sky's end is correct?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3 wrote:

@SJFR80 

Can you post an nslookup on the MX records for the mail servers from your broadband connection to confirm DNS on Sky's end is correct?

IMG_4803.jpeg

@SJFR80

@mae-3

For what it's worth, my experience is very similar to @SJFR80. The ports are correct; we have used the same email provider for 20 years and they have repeatedly said nothing has changed on their side when the problems arise; emails consistently work fine using mobile data or, oddly, my daughter's Sky connection (15 miles away). What is puzzling is that the problems are intermittent and unpredictable: I had a couple of months when things only worked for very brief periods of time (hours), usually late at night. Now, everything has suddenly been fine for several weeks so I'm hoping this doesn't tempt fate! I haven't had the time or energy to take this up with Sky again recently but I'm really frustrated that they don't seem to take it seriously (or are just stumped). 

@UserDav & @SJFR80 

Are you both using standard Sky router equipment and Sky's DNS servers? If so, would you be able to identify whether the MX DNS records are reporting correctly when it isn't working, e.g.: DNS MX wrong or blocked? You can use nslookup for that and type:-

> nslookup

> set type=MX

> domain

And it should print out the same information when working or not, if it isn't reporting correctly then that should be reported to Sky.

-------

@mae-3 

@SJFR80 

@mae-3 thanks so much for trying to help. On the router question, I have had the same issue with two routers, both supplied by Sky. One was several years old, the other was new this year - no improvement. It will take me a bit longer to get to grips with nslookup so watch this space!  

@mae-3 @UserDav 

I posted mine up yesterday but the image has been sensored I think? But my DNS was correct and had no error on the nslookup transcript.

I'm using a standard sky router, it was replaced a couple of years ago, and was working fine, as I said the issue only started earlier this year so not sure it's the router.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion