Discussion topic: Sky blocking connection to my email server

This message was authored by Nadine1406 This message was authored by: Nadine1406

Sky blocking connection to my email server

I am unable to receive or send emails when connected to SKY Wifi as its not allowing connection to the POP3 server [this is a non-SKY email server].  It was working fine until 2 days ago.  If I connect via my mobile data [so disconnected from SKY Broadband] then i can send and receive emails.  I also cant log onto the website to access my email from the web as it times out when connected to SKY but am fine when connected to another network.  I have checked and the Sky Shield is disabled so thats not the issue.  I have done PING tests and TRACE tests and Sky is not allowing access to the server.  How can I resolve this?

All Replies

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Re: Sky blocking connection to my email server

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, I have escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.  

Just look out for the blue bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147 

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

Who is the provider?

I only ask as I saw similar behaviour when attempting to login to an Ionos webmail server during the summer. IMAP connected fine but for a period of around a week webmail didn't. It was clearly Sky blocking the connection at the time as I did a packet capture.

Using a VPN or a mobile showed the problem wasn't with Ionos and when they looked at it they said it was Sky blocking port 443 to them.

Nadine1406
Topic Author
This message was authored by Nadine1406 This message was authored by: Nadine1406

t's an Afrihost email server.  I have had my IT guys check my laptop and they said its definitely SKY not alowing access to the email server

Have you tried connecting via IMAP or webmail (if they do either of those).

I'd agree its Sky at fault here.

Nadine1406
Topic Author

There is a webmail internet site I can go onto to connect to my email via the back end but it times out and doesnt load when connected to Sky but can access it when connected via my mobile on another network 

No IMAP? That's all that would work for me when I had this issue in the summer.

I didn't bother contacting Sky as a) I was super-busy; b) I knew first and second-line support wouldn't have a clue. Only the NOC staff can sort this out but fortunately for me the issue appeared to resolve itself before I had time to address it.

Nadine1406
Topic Author

This issue happened previously a month ago and I was on the line with Afrihost for ages trying to sort it out and we tried changing to IMAP but nothing worked - then after calling SKY and them saying they dont block access it resolved itself the next day.  Then its worked fine until again suddenly I cant send or rceceive emails and I got my IT guys to check and they did all the TRACE and PING tests and confirmed its SKY that is giving the issue.  Am just hoping that the saved PING and TRACE tests will convince them that it is an issue with SKY and they can resolve this going forward 🤞

Ping and trace won't really show anything.

Get your "IT guys" to talk you through how to do a packet capture when you try to login to webmail. I'm assuming that's on port 443 (ie https) and if so it'll show Sky they are the problem. Edit - Sky can't argue its anyone else at fault if its port 443.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nadine1406 

Can you ask the host of your mailserver to run blacklist, spf and dmarc queries on your domain name using mxtoolbox.com 

You could also try turning off your hub for over 30 minutes to obtain a new public ip address on the offchance that your own ip address is blocked

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

She isn't running a MX.

All of Sky's IPv4/IPv6 residential ranges should effectively be tagged as dynamic so nobody should be accepting un-authed smtp mail from a MX in those ranges.

IMAP/POP/webmail is a different ballgame and should never be blacklisted.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Update - Spoken to Nadine1406, they are being managed by our Customer Priority team who are in direct contact with them 🙂

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by Laura+thomas+2015 This message was authored by: Laura+thomas+2015

Hello 

I'm struggling to send or receive emails and I cannot seem to fix this problem. 

can you please advise, I need emails for work so this is proving to be a huge problem for me. 

please advise asap. Thanks Laura 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Laura+thomas+2015 please post details of who provides your email and what app you are using for mail. Is the problem specific to your Sky connection or do you see similsr issues if on your mobile data?

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by UserDav This message was authored by: UserDav

I am experiencing the same problem as reported by @Nadine1406. It is not the first time.  Sometimes it resolves itself (not usually quickly) but is causing unnecessary issues for me. Would someone from the Customer Priority Team please contact me as soon as possible. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion