Discussion topic: Sky app isnt accurate

This message was authored by Kirsty+help+me This message was authored by: Kirsty+help+me

Sky app isnt accurate

My sky app says my WiFi is fine but other WiFi test are saying it isn't. 

Sky says I'm getting 65.8 mbps 

Test with fast.com come I'm barely getting 40mbps. Actually becoming a joke recently 

Screenshot_20231126_195626_Chrome.jpg

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sky app isnt accurate

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kirsty+help+me both are accurate because they are measuring different things.

Sky are reporting the speed your hub is connected at but the speed test is reporting the speed at the device. Wifi speeds are frequently slower than the hub's connection speeds and your test measures the slowest part of the connection. Also other devices can be using some of bandwidth even when not in use as modern devices use downtime to update .

The only reliable speed test is one run when only one device is connected by a fast connection like an ethernet cable when your connection would deliver around 60Mb/s as some bandwidth is required for network overheads. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Sky app isnt accurate

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kirsty+help+me 

As mentioned already you often wont get the line speed that Sky quote over WiFi due to limitations, you have to use an ethernet cable for that. However 35mbps over WiFi is still quite sufficient, what exactly is the issue you are experiencing?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion