Discussion topic: Sky WiFi Max vs Sky Q Hub

This message was authored by K-Man72 This message was authored by: K-Man72

Sky WiFi Max vs Sky Q Hub

Hi All, so a few weeks ago I decided to upgrade my Sky broadband package to include a Sky Max WiFi router (which in hindsight was somewhat of a mistake). The previous Sky router (Sky Q Hub), was rock solid, with all my wireless enabled devices connecting and performing how they should. Then I moved to the new Sky Max WiFi router and the issues began. My previously connected devices seemed to be intermittently dropping off of the wifi (on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz), my Samsung smart TV, although could see the wireless networks, wouldn't connect (but would connect via a hot-spot on my mobile). I contacted Sky who sent me a Sky WiFi pod, which also doesn't connect (I get a flashing white LED indicator). I have contacted Sky, who have scheduled an engineer to visit my home (I'm not sure what can be done, unless I have failing, faulty hardware). At the moment,  I'm think that this hardware is not fit for purpose and as I stupidly sent my old SR203 router back, there is no option to rollback the hardware (other than purchasing one from Amazon or alike). Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. It's worth noting that I currently have 38 devices connected (which the previous router could handle no problem)

Thanks

Kris

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Sky WiFi Max vs Sky Q Hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@K-Man72 

A lot of smart or older hardware sometimes doesn't play nice with WiFi 6 or WPA3. I have experience with this when trying to use WiFi 6 & WPA3 on my Asus router with some IoT gear & outdated kit. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
K-Man72
Topic Author

@jamesn123 yeah, I get that, but even my Samsung TVs intermittently fail to connect, and the WiFi Pod (as provided by Sky) fails to connect. It will be interesting to see what the Sky engineer finds

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@jamesn123 wrote:

@K-Man72 

A lot of smart or older hardware sometimes doesn't play nice with WiFi 6 or WPA3. I have experience with this when trying to use WiFi 6 & WPA3 on my Asus router with some IoT gear & outdated kit. 

The above statement dose read like sky max isn't backwards compatible 🤭🤭🤭

WiFi in all its standards has always a a few quirks along the way.

The hardware involved dose plays a part, but the hardcoded configuration & implementation more so.

Sky max & pods is a poor offering & implementation of something that could have had great potential.

Hopefully Sky will do the right thing & let you revert to a more reliable / stable router @K-Man72.

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.

@TomThumb5ive 

Never said it wasn't backwards compatible. I've also already said multiple times publically that Sky's launch of WiFi max has been horrible and IMO its still an incomplete product.

What I did say was I know for firsthand experience that a LOT of smart devices/TVs/IoT devices do not like WPA-3 or WPA-2/3 mixed mode as well as WiFi 6, they often will just refuse to connect for no logical reason. This is likely why OP has gone from having devices connect fine on the SR203 to having trouble connecting them. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
K-Man72
Topic Author

On speaking to Sky customer services, they refused to issue back the older Sky Q hub, as this unit is being deprecated (with them concentrating on rolling out the new model). If all else fails, I'll either try and force it, purchase a third party router or pull the contract. I'll report back upon their findings 

@K-Man72 

The problem with the Sky Q router is that it doesn't support VOIP so if your line has been changed to SOGEA or FTTP and you use a Sky router you won't be able to use the landline. Of course if you don't use the landline anyway then it isnt an issue for you. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
K-Man72
Topic Author

@jamesn123  yeah, I can see why the IPSs are pushing VoIP as BT have committed to providing their 21CN backbone by mid 2025, phasing out the copper side of their telephony network. However, we haven't used the landlord for voice calling in years, so for us it's not a problem. I just need convince Sky of that 😩 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@K-Man72 wrote:

phasing out the copper side of their telephony network. 

PSTN over copper.  There are still likely to be some locations with IP services delivered over existing 'phone' cabling until the turn of the decade

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
K-Man72
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood  that's very true. Daft question, as I'm more of a data network engineer, but if I purchased the previous model of Sky router (Sky Q hub), will it just connect? I see there are quite a few on Ebay

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@K-Man72 

A Q Hub officially doesn't support FTTP (although apparently does*) and definitely doesn't do G.fast or Sky Talk Internet Calls.

*an ER115 seems to support an ONT on eth #4.  An ER110 may do so.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@K-Man72 

A Q Hub officially doesn't support FTTP (although apparently does*) and definitely doesn't do G.fast or Sky Talk Internet Calls.

*an ER115 seems to support an ONT on eth #4.  An ER110 may do so.

The ER110 does work on FTTP but struggles on Ultrafast Plus (500 Mbps). I tried using an old ER110 while I was waiting for a replacement SR203.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion