Discussion topic: Sky Broadband Speeds

This message was authored by Simplei This message was authored by: Simplei

Sky Broadband Speeds

Allow me to provide you with some context. Our association with Sky spans approximately five years, during which we had encountered no significant issues. However, it is important to note that the problem I am presently discussing has emerged relatively recently, over the past four to five months, if one could even classify this duration as "recent." This period feels notably protracted given the subpar quality of service rendered, to the extent that I am hesitant to refer to it as a "functional service."

I intend to share this concern both here and on the Sky forums to shed light on the challenges presented by Sky. Over the past four to five months, I have consistently experienced an issue with my upload speed, which has been fluctuating between 0.01Mbps and 0.1Mbps. Regrettably, Sky seems indifferent to this problem due to their commitment, much like many other companies, to prioritize only the assessment of download speeds.

For those who may not be aware of the significance of upload speed, it plays a pivotal role in various applications, including platforms like Twitch, Facebook, Fiverr, real-time messaging applications, and all multiplayer games. Throughout this period, I've received a slew of explanations for the erratic drops in my upload speed. The first engineer who visited my premises, to his credit, took several constructive steps, including replacing my router, socket, and booster. He advised that if these measures did not resolve the issue, I should reach out to Sky (and complain) once more, and they would arrange for an OpenReach engineer to intervene.

Subsequently, after contacting Sky and undergoing their diagnostic tests, they assured me they would dispatch another engineer. The engineer contacted a company and informed me that my connection to the box indicated 80Mbps for downloads and 20Mbps for uploads. He suggested that a potentially faulty Wi-Fi device was adversely affecting the speed, and if I connected my device via Ethernet, it would not experience these issues. Following this advice, I have maintained a direct Ethernet connection to the router, but regrettably, the problem persists.

In an attempt to resolve the issue, we sent an email detailing our ongoing problems, prompting Sky to send "Wi-Fi Engineers" to address the situation. They posited that the near-full capacity of our TV box recording might be impeding our internet connection. Bizarre as it may sound, I complied with their suggestion and allowed them to connect an Ethernet cable to the TV box. While it initially appeared to alleviate the problem, this fix proved ephemeral. In a matter of days, the issue resurfaced, intensifying over time.

Sky's apparent reluctance to rectify this issue is disheartening. We reported the problem last Wednesday, and the representative assured us that someone would contact us within 48-72 hours. Regrettably, we have yet to receive any communication.

In my earnest endeavour to rectify this issue, I have invested a substantial sum in acquiring new and higher-speed Ethernet cables, upgraded our powerline adapters, and, subsequently, decided to dispense with the powerline adapters altogether. Additionally, I conducted comprehensive virus scans on all devices within our household. I went so far as to perform a complete system wipe of my personal computer and installed a pristine M.2 drive. Despite these exhaustive measures, it is disheartening to report that none of these attempted resolutions have yielded a resolution. It is worth noting that Sky's only guidance throughout this ordeal was limited to suggesting a virus scan, underscoring their evident reluctance to take substantive actions toward resolving the issue.

Now, please consider the following perspective with due consideration, as I cannot take the risk of transitioning to their "Sky Glass" service. It may be a valid question for some to ask, "Why should I be concerned if this issue doesn't directly affect me?" Nevertheless, it is important to acknowledge that Sky has introduced their novel "Sky Glass" Service, a platform entirely reliant on internet connectivity. In light of this development, it raises the pertinent question: Should Sky or any broadband service provider be permitted to offer a television service without being held accountable for ensuring a minimum upload speed? This is a matter of significant import, as inadequate upload speeds have the potential to significantly disrupt one's television viewing experience.

I have formally conveyed to Sky my steadfast position, which consists of two distinct options: A) The swift resolution of this issue or B) A release from our contractual obligations without incurring any undue penalties. It is indeed perplexing that Sky upholds the notion that the current state of affairs qualifies as a functional service.

The repercussions of this protracted predicament are manifold. It hampers my ability to upload essential documents, including CVs, which are instrumental in the pursuit of new career opportunities. Additionally, it profoundly constrains my capacity to assemble a portfolio showcasing the games I diligently develop during my leisure hours. Regrettably, the current situation renders such endeavors virtually impracticable.

Furthermore, the impairment extends to professional commitments, rendering online meetings untenable. On the rare occasion when companies still conduct virtual job interviews, this unreliable service leaves me with minimal prospects for successful participation. In essence, these circumstances have a far-reaching impact on both my personal and professional endeavors.

I have several videos as evidence demonstrating that my device is connected via Ethernet. I refrain from uploading them here, as they contain language and expressions that will not be suitable for this site.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sky Broadband Speeds

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Simplei I spent over 20 years helping people with consumer complaints and the following is standard advice I would give regularly.  First read the terms and conditions you accepted when you bought the service the current version of Sky Broadband service are here and are relevant to several points you make in particular read section 2

Secondly raise a formal complaint with the supplier, how to do that is explained here How to make a Sky complaint | Sky Help | Sky.com.Ofcom who regulate this sector have an approved  complaints procedure which Sky follows and therefore complaints can go to an independent registered Alternative Disoute Resolution stage if Sky cannot satisfy you and either issue a deadlock letter or 8 weeks have passed. 

If you do suceed in getting your contact cancelled do read the T& Cs from whatever ISP you decide to buy from as they are in my experience very similar on what they can guarantee and what they don't. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion