Discussion topic: Scam: sky tech support and Team Viewer remote view app.

This message was authored by Susie04 This message was authored by: Susie04

Re: Scam: sky tech support and Team Viewer remote view app.

I got as far as receiving the I'd number. I gave them the number , but then realised it allowed remote access so put the phone down. Can they use that number?

I gave them the ID number, then realised and hung up. Can they access anything?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Susie04 wrote:

Can they access anything?

They can if the device is switched on and online, and the remote access software is still running in the same session which generated that number.  I'd suggest you start up the device without internet access and delete the application.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Hi,

I was online, but deleted the app a few minutes after ending the call. I didn't turn my phone off. Should I do anything else?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Susie04 wrote:

I was online, but deleted the app a few minutes after ending the call.

It's conceivable they gained access to the device during that time:  if they did then you should have been able to see what they were doing, though.

This message was authored by Aggie1103 This message was authored by: Aggie1103

I have just had a call from an Indian guy asking me to check my router and stating that it was too slow ...I was asked to go into my phone and get a internet speed test as to which I did ...then he asked me to download an app to which I got suspicious and said no until I have spoken to Sky ....I looked on the Sky web and saw that this was a scam .....the man argued with me until I told him unpolitley were to go ....he was very angry and with this I ended the call 

This message was authored by Britsd This message was authored by: Britsd

I posted this scammany months ago, I am shocked and extremely angry that Sky has not reacted to this scam and notified all their customers by post or some other means of the scam. I feel sorry for the elderly who would be taken in by this. If somebody calls me out of the blue and ask me for security information, I always challeng and say I want to ask them questions first and to date I always get the response they cannot divulge due to GDPR. How come its ok for legitimate companies to call and expect to get personal details but I cant ask the same. its crazy.

This message was authored by robbileigh This message was authored by: robbileigh

I have just had the exact same thing happen to me but was stupid enough to download the app and give them the code. I am really worried now that they have had information from my phone. I hung up after seeing this thread and a woman called me back and was almost shouting down the phone when I said I believed it was a scam. They called from a mobile number 

@robbileigh wrote:

I am really worried now that they have had information from my phone.

They may have, yes, although hopefully they were more interested in getting you to log into online banking rather than doing potentially cleverer things like exfiltrating documents, photographs, contact lists, session tokens etc.

The minimum you need to do is set the handset to airplane mode, then uninstall the downloaded app and reboot.

This message was authored by NanaMary1 This message was authored by: NanaMary1

This just happened to me. 
No way will I ever give remote access to anyone !  I hung up, and they called back twice! 

This message was authored by Bazzer17 This message was authored by: Bazzer17

I posted on this forum about a scam call approx. 1 year ago. Since that time I've had a number of similar calls telling me my internet is compromised etc. Whilst I accept SKY itself cannot stop these low life individuals, it does surprise my that SKY has not sent a genetic message to all of its customers warning of this particular swindle. These people seemed genuine and I'm sure the vulnerable or elderly could easily be taken in. (Im neither and I nearly was!) Maybe if a representative of SKY actually reads these forums it might be worth contemplating sending something out. 

This message was authored by HelenBri This message was authored by: HelenBri

This has just happened to me as well, I did the speed test on the Internet but refused to download the app and asked her to confirm my address and she hung up 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion