Discussion topic: Scam broadband call

This message was authored by cooperdoo24 This message was authored by: cooperdoo24

Re: Scam broadband call

I just had this exact call from that number. He said his name was Mike and he had a strong Indian accent. I've had no issue with my internet so I told him I was busy and would call sky back. He insisted he would call me back instead but I declined. SCAM 

This message was authored by TapeHead This message was authored by: TapeHead

I would have told him what we'll do to his round thingies if we ever have the opportunity to make his aquaintance.

This message was authored by cooperdoo24 This message was authored by: cooperdoo24

I can see how people fall for it though. Terrible 

This message was authored by yKaren This message was authored by: yKaren

Had anothe call from these lovely people this morning. They tried to get me to go to to a website [removed] at which point I hung up. They are very persistent and annoying 😞

Moderator note: removed harmful URL

This message was authored by CW59 This message was authored by: CW59

We moved house on 22nd  December. On 31st December our landline was connected  and we plugged our router in at approx 4.00pm the same day. We were told by Sky that they would monitor the broadband for 10 days in case of problems. 
On Tuesday 4th January we received a phone call to our new landline number from someone claiming to be from Sky who said they had seen problems with our router and needed to fix the problem. We had not given this new phone number to anyone at this stage. He knew my name, address and the last 4 digits and sort code for the bank account we pay the Sky direct debit from. 
He told me to go to fast.com and then download team viewer, which I did. He eventually told me that we were due a refund from Sky for the poor service and wanted me to go into online banking to check the details. 
At this point I realised it was a scam call and told him I would not go onto online banking and closed down the computer and ended the call. He phoned me back several times (from a different number each time) trying to persuade me he was genuinely from Sky. 
I was fooled for quite a long time because he had so many of my details including my brand new landline number which only Sky new.  How did he get these details? The only explanation is that Sky's security is compromised. 
I had a very lucky escape. 

Your conclusions about Sky's involvement are inevitable.  Maybe Sky agrees with the scammer that customers in your position are highly vulnerable.

This message was authored by NickDn This message was authored by: NickDn

Had a similar call today, gave me a sky based URL to follow then wanted me to download a package to my mac to give remote control . When I said I wasnt doing that he got angry with me, I told him (correctly) that I was an IT professional and that he had no chance of loading remote control SW on my PC and hang up. They are persistent as its the 3rd time they have called.

I had a spam e-mail today telling me that my direct debit payment for car tax has failed & I'll be prosecuted.  There was a web site reference that would solve all my problems - yeah.

The e-mail address used to reach me was my Sky account address.

This message was authored by skibob This message was authored by: skibob

Must be doing the rounds again! 

Got a call by "jason" from "sky", so I just asked which sky? Mumbai Sky? Chennai Sky? Gujeratti Sky? Jason hung up before I got to Kolkatta Sky?

This message was authored by ablazepipz This message was authored by: ablazepipz

Just to add Ive had two scam calls of this nature today using the web to disguise the number as one from Portsmouth. Both times they rang it was from different numbers. Just be aware it looks like they are spoofing UK numbers now too.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ablazepipzThey have been doing this for some time now. If you are able you might want to think about adding Sky talk shield. This service is free and you can use the link below to activate it.

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-talk-shield/using-sky-talk-shield 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Beryl58 This message was authored by: Beryl58

Scammer re Broadband

I also received a call on the same numbers saying there was a problem with my internet speed with Sky but as Id just been watching Scam Interceptors on the BBC I was very aware of this scam. I told him I didnt want to deal with it at the moment so he was then very aggressive and told me not to waste his time I just laughed at him he then started swearing at me so just by these actions alone I knew it wasnt sky but i quite enjoyed getting him annoyed and wastin his time

This message was authored by Sean3214 This message was authored by: Sean3214

Why am I being targeted? The only time I use the land line is phone my parents. How are these scammers able to phone me as "alleged" sky service support. They know my number and they know I am a Sky customer, so what was leaked and why you have not warned us?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Sean3214 wrote:

They know my number and they know I am a Sky customer, so what was leaked and why you have not warned us?

By itself, a list of phone numbers in use by Sky Talk subscribers (or subscribers to a phone/broadband service provided by any other telco) does not constitute 'confidential' (GDPR-sensitive) information: datasets of numbers identifying the associated service provider have to be circulated internationally  between telecommunication companies to facilitate routing and billing.  If the bad guys don't have your name, address, account number, billing details etc when they call then there's almost certainly not been a data 'leak' from Sky itself: the criminals would be using such 'Personally Identifying Information'*  if they had it, in order to make their approach to you more convincing.

*the definition applied in GDPR legislation and its oversight by the ICO.  Actual loss of PII by Sky would be hugely costly to them, particularly if not reported properly: the ICO can levy fines of up to £17.5 million or 4% of global turnover.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Puzicatt This message was authored by: Puzicatt

Hi ive just had the same call supposedly from sky telling me people are trying to hack my account ....wasted 30 minutes of his time playing dumb 🙄 then when he was so frustrated with me i hung up ..hopefully thats 1 less person hes scammed today ...he rang my landline number that is never  used ..he rang from 01245 number 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion