Discussion topic: Scam broadband call

This message was authored by ChrisEssex1959 This message was authored by: ChrisEssex1959

Re: Scam broadband call

Since i upgraded to sky broadband ultrafast my telephone line now goes through my router . I am told that sky talk shield is not available for customers with ultrafast because sky talk shield only works with copper wiring to my old telephone box which is now defunct 

Since i have upgraded i am getting loads of nuisance and scam calls telling me my sky qccount has been hacked . Is there some sort software or feature that will do the same as sky talk shield ?  These constant calls are eriving me mad ..please help ...thankyou 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ChrisEssex1959  Could you please tell us what greetig you get from dialing 17070? Is it number one or two.

One : hi your through to Sky

or

Two : welcome to your open line test facility

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@ChrisEssex1959 wrote:

I am told that sky talk shield is not available for customers with ultrafast because sky talk shield only works with copper wiring to my old telephone box which is now defunct 

Simply not true that there's any relationship between your wiring and Sky Talk Shield.  It's conceivable that there are operational reasons why it can't be applied to Sky Talk over VOIP, but copper isn't one of them ; )

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Sarita+Bongo This message was authored by: Sarita+Bongo

I have just had the exact same scam.  A different number though. When I said my wifi was fine with no issues he got aggressive and said we can see what the issues are. I just hung up on them.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Sarita+Bongo 

If you are on skys unbundled network you should be able to contact sky to set up talk shield. Contact them on 150 from your landline to see if you can

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Carl76 This message was authored by: Carl76

The same has just happened to me. I asked "who do I know you are from Sky" and they hung up. 

This message was authored by shopaholic2 This message was authored by: shopaholic2

Every time someone calls and says they are calling from SKY about my Broadband etc. I thank them for calling then say I just need to ask them a few security questions to check they are who they say they are. They always hang up immediately 😊

This message was authored by DeansGirl This message was authored by: DeansGirl

I had one of these calls, hung up as I knew it was a scam, but then accidentally called them back! 

No-one answered, I only noticed because I could hear a quiet high pitched noise coming from the handset & went to investigate! Could they have hacked anything or charged me any money for ringing them back? 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DeansGirl wrote:

Could they have hacked anything or charged me any money for ringing them back? 

'Hacking': no. Charged money, possibly, but typically such operations aren't behind premium rate numbers because to do so they would need to be a legitimate business to receive call revenue. The most likely possibility is that you were logged as returning the call which makes you of more interest to them as a potential target, so the incidence of such calls may go up.

This message was authored by Webb14 This message was authored by: Webb14

I've just received what I believe was a scam call saying my internet speed was not as it should be. When I siad I wasn't at my computer he suggested we could "fix" it via my phone and threathened as I refused to believe he was from Sky to disconnect my interent in 30 minutes. 

@Webb14 

Yes, that was an attempted scam.  ISPs don't make such calls, and no legitimate business would threaten to disconnect a subscriber like that.

This message was authored by Chazarlo This message was authored by: Chazarlo

Hi, I have just had 2 calls on my landlines from sky saying my broadband connection is dropping, its really not its great, its a withheld number ,I'm thinking this has to be a scam.

Sharon moore
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@ChazarloDid they do any security checks with you, or did they just say that the broadband is dropping?

This message was authored by Chazarlo This message was authored by: Chazarlo

They were telling to go to my router and check the lights and then before they asked me to do anything else I hung up I just thought it was strange as I only have my sky bb a few months and it's be fine speed wise no drop out or any like that. 

Sharon moore

@ChazarloIf you want to be on the safe side you can put on Sky talk shield on your line and only let through calls you want and also let's you set up a star list, more information can be found in the links below.

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-talk-shield/call-screening 

and

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-talk-shield/using-sky-talk-shield 

If it does not let you activate it online, you would have to call Sky on 150 and when asked the nature of the call say " Technical ", stay on the line even if it asks you to hang up.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion