Discussion topic: Scam broadband call

This message was authored by DbbCll This message was authored by: DbbCll

Re: Scam broadband call

I have had 6 of these calls this morning all claiming to be from Sky tech support. Area code is always 01606 then 62 and the last 4 numbers change. I played along for a bit with the last one. She said there were hackers in my system and she could fix it. I needed to tell her what devices were using the Internet, which one was using chrome. When I asked why she started getting stroppy so I asked her to explain why she needed the info. She said bye & hung up. Scammers 

This message was authored by Eamonn+Staunton This message was authored by: Eamonn+Staunton

Can I suggest that Sky take proactive action to try and protect its customers. Have they reported this to the Authorities for example or taken any positive policies. Surely they should be doing something as this is a growing number of people. 

I simply don't believe that these criminals are sitting around guessing telephone numbers!

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Eamonn+Staunton wrote:

Can I suggest that Sky take proactive action to try and protect its customers. Have they reported this to the Authorities for example or taken any positive policies. Surely they should be doing something as this is a growing number of people. 

I simply don't believe that these criminals are sitting around guessing telephone numbers!

See https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Help-with-scam-calls-amp-emails/td-p/3437640/jump-to/first-un...

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Eamonn+Staunton wrote:

Have they reported this to the Authorities for example

Unfortunately the relevant 'Authorities' are overseas, and typically in countries where such issues are really not a priority, particularly given the victims are not citizens.  You'll find an example from 2019 where Microsoft and City of London Police managed to get co-operation from a regional police force in India to close down two 'shadow' call centres perpetrating the classic 'microsoft tech support scam' (using browser pop-ups to trigger contact) after four years of effort, but that's very much an exception.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mark221 This message was authored by: mark221

I have had several phone calls from "SKY Technical' this morning claiming that my internet is being used fraudulently and they need to reconfigure my router. They claim that as the UK's major ptovider they have been given responsibility for all broadband problems in my area.

Since I am totally unable to get through to Sky I have had to disconnect my phone line.  why do SKY make me feel that as a customer they want to make it easier for the scammer by making it hard for me to talk to anyone?  

Had the same problem this morning. Multiple calls from the 01606 number then the last one from 0133....... all claiming my internet was being used maliciously. I have had to physically disconnect my landline as SKY cannot be contacted as usual.  They claim that they have been given responsibility for all cable, BT, Talk talk etc, etc, connections as they are the biggest provider.

I will probably no longer use a landline as it is just too insecure. 

More chance of talking to the dead than getting therough to Sky.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mark221 

Sky would only advise activating Sky Talk Shield if you got through to them.

This message was authored by Baileysmum This message was authored by: Baileysmum

I have had 6 calls in the last 2 hours claiming people are accessing my WiFi fraudulently. I tell them to stop calling and I'll contact sky myself. They just call back. I've had to disconnect my phone. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Baileysmum wrote:

I have had 6 calls in the last 2 hours claiming people are accessing my WiFi fraudulently. I tell them to stop calling and I'll contact sky myself. They just call back. I've had to disconnect my phone. 

There's no point interacting with these robot calls. Try the Sky Talk Shield as previously suggested or try not speaking when you pick up a call from ab unrecognised number.

@Mark39 wrote:

try not speaking when you pick up a call from ab unrecognised number.

I like to leave them listening to the radio: they get really cross.  'The Archers' works well, presumably because it's all conversation but they don't understand it ; )

This message was authored by AllisonBrindle This message was authored by: AllisonBrindle

@Bradder77 Ive just had a call from John Parker from India too! He got quite angry when I wouldn't allow him remote access to my computer, I got passed over to John by the first lady who was not impressed with my cautious attitude and inability to understand.  Aparently John is a  "supervisor" who called me a conspiracy theorist when I said I was not convinced he was from Sky 😀. The number was 01484 Huddersfield area code

This message was authored by 4j This message was authored by: 4j

I got a call today from a really noisy call centre from "leeds" +44 113 *** 3141.

Caller was claiming I had security issues on my router. I played a long for a while but lost patience as I was working at the time.

I asked for a reference number and a number to call back on but he sidestepped the question.

Then he asked me to start doing something on the computer. He was talking about WhatsApp too, as if Sky would ask you to use WhatsApp for their tech support.

Anyway ended the call by reiterating that if I really had a problem that I would like him to email me with details and I would persue it further.

Be smart; big companies do not cold call unless you have already started a process with them first.

This message was authored by Bardsley17 This message was authored by: Bardsley17

Looks like these are on rise again. I've was woken this morning by a call had 4 others since!! Started the other day but don't answer personal calls when working. Interesting fact these started just after I had applied for the upgraded remote for Sky Q 

numbers start 01325 4970 then 2 end digits change 

This message was authored by Bardsley17 This message was authored by: Bardsley17

Just had another so said if you are from Sky you can confirm some details. They said no to all my questions and once I said well this is obviously a scam they hung up! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion