Discussion topic: Scam broadband call

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Scam broadband call

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Eamonn+Staunton 

Probably not, no.  Numbers in use by particular call and line providers have to be known within the international telecommunication industry to allow routing and billing: the bad guys appear to be simply dialing blind within that list of numbers  If they had any 'personal details' regarding individuals then they would undoubtedly be using these to try and make the calls more convincing.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Eamonn+Staunton wrote:

I am ex-directly so sadly this leads back to Sky and their policy of selling and sharing our information! 

No, it doesn't.  These scammers have no idea who your broadband provider is. They take a punt on you having broadband from Sky simply because Sky is one of the biggest providers and there's a good chance of them getting it right. I've had similar calls and I'm not with Sky broadband.

There's no evidence of any data leak from Sky.

This message was authored by KarenC86 This message was authored by: KarenC86

The same thing happened to me. A woman first then a man. I told them I would report them for fraud because Sky have my mobile number and would contact me on that. They rang my sister too. He didn't get further than saying he was from the technical department before I shut him down.

This message was authored by KarenC86 This message was authored by: KarenC86

1471 gave me the number  07237 451 294

A mobile number. It also said I would be charged for calling it.

This message was authored by Jules-61 This message was authored by: Jules-61

Still doing the rounds.  We had two calls from 0207.....and from 0796..... yesterday.  Said they were from Sky Tech Dept wanting to talk about our broadband.  When challenged, they ended the call.  Both had pronounced Asian accents.  *Won't allow me to put in the numbers to help people...

Julie Peck
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jules-61 wrote:

*Won't allow me to put in the numbers to help people...

The numbers are almost certainly fake and change with every call: use of software-driven VOIP CID spoofing is routine for such scammers.

This message was authored by Tng88 This message was authored by: Tng88

I recieved a similar call this morning, and as I have recently contacted sky about my router I thought it may be about that. The guy then proceeded in trying to get me to download a 3rd party app from Google play (really!). I said no asked for my account no. to be read to me this was wrong and then he hung up. Watch out people. 

This message was authored by Terri67 This message was authored by: Terri67

Hi, I just had a call from a lady saying she were returning my call from Sky about my slow route, which I had made a complaint about over the weekend. She  had me do a lot of stuff to try to update the security of the route on both my computer and mobile and this she said would make it faster, I believed she was sky as she gave me my Sky account details, full name and address, then they said that I would need a new router and one would be sent in the post in three days and she even booked an appointment for Mr Thomas Green to come and install it for me on Friday 22/1/21 between 2 and 3pm, they said his employer number was TG11SKY1845 and that I must make sure that I check this before I let him in, and he would follow covid-19 rules.  They also said that I was due compensation of £404.83 and then it got strange as she said: I would need to go into my bank account to verify this has been paid in, understandably I was not keen to do this, but she said they had already had my bank account number and sort code and in fact gave me the last 4 numbers of my bank account and the last two numbers of my banks sort code, but she wanted  more info, I said I was not happy with this as I had no idea if she had added any programmes to the computer and phone why getting me to do stuff to make the router faster, and that I would not give her my details, when I said I didn’t know who to go into my bank account she offered to show my how, I again said I was not keen and that they could just pay any compensation back into my sky account and that was fine, she said they cannot do this and it would have to go into my bank account and I needed to verify that it had gone in, by now I was very suspicious and said forget the compensation, I only want the router to work, and as it was coming by post and Mr Green was coming on Friday to install it, that would be fine. She said so you don't want compensation, I said No, I don’t want the compensation, then she said that Mr Green would not come on Friday unless I verified the compensation had gone into my bank.  I said this is a scam, and I will not be giving her any of my details, and she hung up, what worries me is that she knew my full sky account number, name and address and some details of my bank account like last four numbers and end of sort code.  So, with the details she had I have to wonder seriously if someone at Sky supplying these scammers with personal info?   How can she get this info, and how did they know to call me about the complaint that I had made over the weekend?  Very suspicious of Sky now, and to top it all off my route is still only working between download speed of 9.2 mbps and 25mbps when I am paying for superfast 59mbps.

So not impressed and please beware and on a side note, if anyone at Sky reads this please can you sort out my naff route speed.

@Terri67 wrote:

They also said that I was due compensation of £404.83 and then it got strange as she said: I would need to go into my bank account to verify this has been paid in

As you fortunately spotted, that automatically means it's a criminal scam.  I've escalated your post to Sky as these criminals are typically dialing blind and don't usually have any personal information, so that's concerning.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Terri67 I have picked this up and sent an invite to chat. Just so you know, we will ask for some security info, but just the same as you would give to us when calling. Nothing else. 

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by hebaandabby This message was authored by: hebaandabby

I have just had one of these scammers call me and wanted to know all the devices connected to my router and for me to download teamviewer app from the Playstore. I had an idea it was a scammer and therefore acted dumb which I think frustrated him and he cut the call. Caller had an Indian accent number called me o1234959010.

Been having a lot of these types of calls since being forced to have Voip calls. 

How are they getting the numbers if no data breach. Sky please sort this out or I will be switching to another provider once my contract ends. 

@hebaandabby wrote:

How are they getting the numbers if no data breach.

As I mentioned above, lists of numbers in use by customers of a particular telecoms provider are not confidential: that's information which is circulated within the international telecoms market for billing and call routing purposes.  It's 'personal information' under the remit of the Data Protection Act if subscriber account details are attached, and (except in very rare cases) the bad guys don't seem to have any, or they'd undoubtedly be using them as part of the scam to sound more convincing when they call.

This message was authored by hebaandabby This message was authored by: hebaandabby

They have called me every 30 minutes today changing the last 4 numbers.

What do I do. 

@hebaandabby 

Activating Sky Talk Shield may help reduce the incidence of such calls:

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-talk-shield/what-do-you-need-help-with 

Thanks for your response but it seems that I cannot activate it online. Why does everything have to be made awkward. I really don't need this right now 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion