Discussion topic: Scam broadband call

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Scam broadband call

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lizzylee very common problem best to simply hang up. Sky or Openreach dont call you to sort issues unless you have contacted them first. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Lizzylee wrote:

My Internet connection is insecure and wanted to see what colour my lights where. 

Well, I suppose a router with NO lights at all is pretty secure, because it's switched off.  Other than that, the LEDs have no relevance to security: it's just a social engineering technique to get the potential victim more involved in the scam call.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by AlexHayward This message was authored by: AlexHayward

I've just received a phone call to my mobile claiming to be from Sky, and asking me about my broadband connection. He said he wanted to tell me how to improve the signal, when I said it wasn't convenient he told me it would only take 5-10 minutes. I refused and he asked if he could call back later, so I agreed to this. 

The number he called from shows as being Virgin Media.

We haven't reported a problem recently so I'm dubious that this is real.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@AlexHayward wrote:

I'm dubious that this is real.

It isn't a call from Sky as it will be from a scammer who wants you to install something on your device that then allows them acccss to it so if you can block the number then it is worth doing this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by AlexHayward This message was authored by: AlexHayward

That's what I thought, the original call came from a Manchester number, just now the first came from a Lincoln number, then a London number 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@AlexHayward  These numbers can be spoofted to come from any number in the UK. To make you think it is a legit number.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Andu This message was authored by: Andu

Just had a call from someone saying they were from sky and wanted to upgrade my router by using via my phone. After looking at the speeds they wanted me to download an app from the play store TVQS quick support. Don't know what the app does so I went no where near it. They rang off when I asked. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Andu wrote:

After looking at the speeds they wanted me to download an app from the play store TVQS quick support.

Always the hallmark of a criminal scam: such apps give the bad guys full access to the device it's installed on, at which point they pretty much own your life...

" QuickSupport enables a support technician to remotely access, remotely control, and remotely view your computer or mobile device for fast troubleshooting.  TeamViewer strongly recommends only accepting connection requests from people you know and trust. "

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/info/quicksupport/ 

This message was authored by TapeHead This message was authored by: TapeHead

I've started replying to these calls - ones where there is a pause before an Asian voice starts - by asking them how they got this unlisted number?  I've frequnetly said that this is Buckingham Palace, CIA London station or Microsoft.  They hang up very quckly.

@TapeHead 

I leave them listening to whatever is on Radio 4 at the time: 'The Archers' works a treat when the bemused caller tries to understand and then join in the conversation to steer it towards their scam script...

This message was authored by Farida+Ankk This message was authored by: Farida+Ankk

Hello everyone I have just received today a call on my landline from a number ending 6369 from an Asian Lady and then Guy pretending to be Sky and there was work needed due to issues on my broadband. They asked me to do a speed test then requested that I install the app Anydesk which is remote tool to access my 'router' to fix the issue. This will have given access to my phone and all my details. I told them to send an engineer if this is the case and hang up. My broadband was fine. Be aware!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion