Discussion topic: Scam broadband call

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Scam broadband call

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Puzicatt wrote:

..he rang from 01245 number 

Probably not: caller identification is almost always forged ('spoofed') in such calls, with the actual point of origin being a VOIP system somewhere overseas.  Operating from the UK would bring the criminals under the remit of law enforcement which might actually be bothered to do something.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by lorraine+stratton This message was authored by: lorraine+stratton

I've had exactly the same!  I suggested she improved her English as I couldn't understand her?  Obviously a scam. I was told to open speed test?

This message was authored by Falkenna This message was authored by: Falkenna

Mine came from a different number, and was more persistent and had worked out answers to questions. He said they were updating lines and old routers. He had a very convincing webpage, even an advert for Sky Glass, where he said I could get up a number that he could quote me to prove he was from Sky. I refused to type anything onto the page though and said I would ring them back on the Sky technical number. He got a little flustered, and finally said I would have to pay if I did that, because them calling me was a one-time free offer. That's when I knew without doubt it was a scam.

This message was authored by Carol+Rodriguez This message was authored by: Carol+Rodriguez

I just had the same phone call today but diferent  numbers

But when they ask me about to get access to my phone was strange for me. Keep an eye on this scams

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Falkenna wrote:

He had a very convincing webpage, even an advert for Sky Glass, where he said I could get up a number that he could quote me to prove he was from Sky.

Yes: that's the CLSID scam which has been around forever: they get you to retrieve a number from your operating system which is apparently unique, but is in fact the same in every in-support instance of Windows.

This message was authored by Tony+Jones This message was authored by: Tony+Jones

Re: Scam broadband call from 0 0 2 5 4 2 9 3 7 0 9 2 8 8

Companies with whom you do business legitametely have your details and such details are compiled into lists and can easily be bought or are sold off to by 3rd parties like data brokers.  Whilst this article is a little dated it illustrates how scammers get hold of your details: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2007/dec/08/personaldetails

This message was authored by AimieH This message was authored by: AimieH

They're at it again. Had a call on landline claiming to be Sky and offering a free booster if Internet speed too slow. Very strong accent (assume Indian) seemed believable until he asked me to go to another website Fast.com I think it was. I said cam I log in via Sky.com and he said yes but the website he was suggesting was quicker. I shut him down after this and ended the call. I automatically assume all call centres are in India so I'm not alarmed for that reason alone but I should be clearly.

@AimieH wrote:

offering a free booster if Internet speed too slow.

To be fair, that's a new variation on an old tune.

This message was authored by SP1234 This message was authored by: SP1234

I received the same but unfortunately I gave them access to my laptop. After a bit I questioned them when I sow they were scanning my laptop and I swithed off my laptop. I changed password and banks ... anything else you can suggest?

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@SP1234  uninstall the software that they got you to install to gain remote access.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@SP1234 after uninstalling the software run a full scan using your internet security software. Also maybe worth downloading Malwarebytes and running that - they offer a good free scan and fix option for home users.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@SP1234 wrote:

anything else you can suggest?

Perhaps consider if there were documents or data stored on the laptop which could be of use in other forms of fraud.

This message was authored by Lizzylou1963 This message was authored by: Lizzylou1963

I have just taken a call on my home phone from a woman stating that other devices, in califorina, are logged into my router.  The call came from a mobile number. She avoided giving me the account holders name and just kept on about people in California using my router and that I needed to type in to one of my connected  devices a specific bit of text to rectify the matter.  I asked her why I shouldn't think this is a scam and her response was 'I haven't asked you for any personal details' and that they would be disconnecting my router if I didn't.  With that I put the phone down.  People beware!!!

This message was authored by Gemski.1984 This message was authored by: Gemski.1984

I had this call this morning too they wanted me to install an app called (Any Desk) thank god i listened to my gut feeling i did not install it! Scumbags! 

This message was authored by Lizzylee This message was authored by: Lizzylee

[content removed] called me pretending to be from sky

My Internet connection is insecure and wanted to see what colour my lights where. 

Moderator note: phone number removed

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion