Discussion topic: SKY WIFI MAX AND SKY Q MINI HELP

This message was authored by dangman2024 This message was authored by: dangman2024

SKY WIFI MAX AND SKY Q MINI HELP

I have just renewed my Sky Contract.  I was advised by the salesman to upgrade to Sky Wifi Max due to rubbish wifi strength. On the same call, I asked for an additional Sky Q Mini Box for £50 for my bedroom.  I did this although the Wifi is much better, I have just been told that my Sky Q Mini Box will NOT work with Sky Wifi Max. I have only found this out via trial and error. 

How can this happen? This is horrific customer service and just a lie. Is this true? is this fixable? Please can anyone help?

All Replies

This message was authored by Craigclp This message was authored by: Craigclp

Re: SKY WIFI MAX AND SKY Q MINI HELP

Ive been told similar this week by a visiting engineer despite many many calls to sky who mentioned nothing

uograding to sky stream appears to be the answer

dangman2024
Topic Author
This message was authored by dangman2024 This message was authored by: dangman2024

How is this allowed to happen ? Why were we advised to upgrade to a product that no longer works with our existing products ?

I wouldn't have done this had I been told the correct information. Surely they are able to update sky Q mini boxes to fix this ?

sky Stream is rubbish and you can't record programmes. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@dangman2024 the Sky agent you spoke to messed up as the Wifi Max package is incompatable with Sky Q. I have escalated your post to the Sky team who support the forum who should be in touch soon to offer you a private chat session to get this sorted. Keep an eye on the forum as if you miss the message just click the chat icon which will be added to the forum pages for you to use.saving a long phone call.

Quite how the agent could actually order Wifi Max for you is strange as if you have Sky Q that should not be actually possible. The issue is simply the Sky Q mesh wifi system does not work with the newer mesh system the SR213 hub and the pod exrenders use. Sky have said they are working on a way of sorting this but as yet that has not happened.

Sky Q was designed around 2015 and used a proprietary networking system which has been over taken by newer and better wifi technology. Given Sky will be likely moving away from satellite broadcasting to streaming in a few years they have stopped major developments of the Q hardware.

On its own the Wifi Max bundle works but performance, as with all Wifi systems, depends on factors like type of construction and layout of the customers home.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Craigclp as I posted in the reply above Sky should never supply Wifi Max to an account where there are Sky Q minis or boosters. Rarely if you have a single main Q box that maybe OK. Sky stream is a much simpler system in networking terms the boxes dont act as wifi hotspots so the pucks will work with pretty much any wifi system. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
dangman2024
Topic Author

Thanks so much Chrissee. Very kind of you.

So to be clear, are you saying that in order for me to have sky around the house I need to have Sky Stream rather than Sky Q mini boxes? Is Sky Stream compatible with the main Sky Q box as I would like to have that still? Or is Sky Stream an entirely new system ?

it's a real shame as Sky WiFi max is so much better than the Sky broadband I had before. Doesn't feel right that I would have to go back to a worse WiFi speed so that it all works together? I find it incredible that I was offered, suggested and allowed to do this. They have to give me a huge discount right ?!

@dangman2024 it is possible to have Sky Q around your home but not with Wifi Max. Without getting very technical Sky will provide boosters to improve connection between the older Sky hubs and Q boxes which in mamnt cases can sort any issues. Each Q box acts as a wifi hot spot which extends your wifi, when I hade Sky Q i used my own Powerline Networking adapters which use the home's mains wiring to carry the data to connect to a distant Q mini thstvstruggled with connectivity and gave poor wifi on one level in my house. That worked for me.

As i have just posted in another thread on the same subject Stream which at some point will replace Q as Sky's primary TV offering - satellite broadcasting will be unlikely to be around much after 2030 - is far simpler the pucks dont act as wifi hoot spots and act as simple wifi clients.

I have 3 pucks and a Glass TV which are very stable and I find them superior to Sky Q in picture quality and features but do your research before switching as there are significant differences including the channels each system offers. All of the major broadvasters are on both but some of the smaller ones havent gone onto Stream yet. The lack of local recording bugs some people but I find I can watch what I want when I want to.

Sky are very unlikely to offer significant discounts beyond the publicly available offers on Stream but you can ask. The chat agents I linked you to cannot handle sales but are very knowledgable bunch.

Re: Unable to get sky max

Thank tou

i bought a sky max hub privately and wow what a difference that makes..!!!

just need to further enhance the wifi reach now - need some boosters / pods for the hub.

I may upgrade and get sky stream - just need to convince my Mrs 😜😂

anyone know how to get some sky max pods...? 

other that than 1 I have an error mesh system ready to install 

*eero mesh system ready to install

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Craigclp  As far as I'm aware Sky Max hubs are loaned to customers you shouldn't be able to buy them privately from anyone.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@dangman2024 wrote:

How is this allowed to happen ? Why were we advised to upgrade to a product that no longer works with our existing products ?

Presumably because it was during the same transaction: at the time you ordered the Mini box the Max subscription was not yet marked as active against the account and so missed the blocking rule which would have prevented such an order going through under any other circumstances.

@dangman2024 wrote:

Surely they are able to update sky Q mini boxes to fix this ?

Potentially not: Mini boxes have been around since 2016 with the proprietary 'Q Mesh' embedded in them.  It's quite possible that this now antique technology is simply incompatible with the modern mesh in the Max Hub and its pods.

It's also worth factoring in that satellite television broadcasting is almost certainly now approaching the end of its lifespan anyway (at least in the UK) and the Max Hubs being distributed can be expected to outlive it by some considerable time.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, thanks for sending us this case. On this occasion, we do not believe we are going to be able to help. 

The customer either needs to change their broadband subscription or the TV services. Both of which we cannot support with on this chat. 

If the customer does want to do either of the above, they would need to call and speak to our value team. 

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion