Discussion topic: Router throughput is around half of specified broadband speed on both Wi-Fi and ethernet connection.

Shaun.k
Topic Author
This message was authored by Shaun.k This message was authored by: Shaun.k

Re: Router throughput is around half of specified broadband speed on both Wi-Fi and ethernet connect

This isn't working for me, I've turned power off for 20 minutes and run a test with no improvement, and reset again via the router page, and am getting the following. 

2FF3EBD5-7044-4C61-86A3-5C5BF28A2E20.jpeg

I don't know where to go from here. I will try the other Sky router later to see if it makes a difference, but having tried it a few times already, it is not going to work I am sure. 

This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001

Re: Router throughput is around half of specified broadband speed on both Wi-Fi and ethernet connect

Posted by a Sky employee

Thank you for escalating this. We have sent an invite to chat 🙂 

Shaun.k
Topic Author

I'm just going over the same old tests again, it is not being resolved. 

can someone explain/advise on the escalation process with Sky please? This thread is actually the latest in a long line of mess ups by Sky, and my patience have completely gone at this point, it is way too time consuming. Every time I speak with someone they want me to go through the same old checks as if it is the first time I speak with Sky on this issue. 

This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001

Posted by a Sky employee

Update:

Spoke with @Shaun.k and went through some steps to try and resolve issues, resulted in a Sky bbte visit being arranged

Thanks again for the escalation have a great Christmas 🙂

Shaun.k
Topic Author

Thank you @Greenfingers001  for your time and for arranging a visit from Sky.

Also a big thank you to everyone else who participated in attempting to resolve this topic, I will likely be back to provide an update after 30th December. All the best and I hope you have a great Christmas.

Shaun.k
Topic Author

Hi all, the Sky broadband setup guy called out on December 30th, I've been waiting for an update but have not received it. He had seen this exact problem recently and was unable to resolve it, he did not know why it was happening, he asked some questions within his community of Sky engineers and I have been waiting for a call back.

It would appear that the Sky router/equipment is simply not capable of delivering the specified speed, this is (in my opinion) some sort of software issue with the Sky equipment. Can anyone advise on what should happen next? I'm considering a move when the contract ends, but in the meantime, if I reduce to the lower package, will it work at this speed (as I am getting the lower speed) or will it also cut by half?

This message was authored by Kenny+Rankin This message was authored by: Kenny+Rankin

Hi - just to eliminate a possible issue , when you run the Speedtest from a Pc connected via Ethernet - are you ensuring that yheceifinis disabled on the Pc ? Simply plugging in an Ethernet cable will not always result in the Pc using that connection of Wi-Fi is still enabled.

apologies if you have already done this but worth checking 

—————————————————————————————————-Sky Q, Sky Gigafast Broadband with SR203 Hub
Shaun.k
Topic Author

Hi all, I had to leave this where it was a year ago as it annoyed me too much, simply nit worth wasting my time over any longer. I have today switched from Sky to Plusnet, and am now getting the 72mbps as I should be. The issue was 100% the fault of Sky, either poor quality equipment or restricting my download speed, either way I now have double the speed and better coverage all through the house. Never again, I'm advising others who I know have issues with Sky to switch also. Bad experience start to finish, and took a long time to finally get Sky to cancel my tv package.

Thank you to those who tried to help, I do appreciate your effort and suggestions. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion