Discussion topic: Router/Ethernet cables wanted to me moved

This message was authored by gobur This message was authored by: gobur

Router/Ethernet cables wanted to me moved

Just got Boadband installed yesterday, but not happy with other stuff Phone/CCTV / Hive that I have to plug into it and it now looks a bit of a mess..Its not the Engineers fault, because I told them at the time I didnt want a lot of wires.. So its looks awful now.. Anybody know what Sky would charge to re-route the wires from front door to adjacent bedroom.. Thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Router/Ethernet cables wanted to me moved

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@gobur depends on what type od connection you have. Traditional telephone master sockets sre quite simple to move but full fibre connections with ONT units are a lot more complicated. Typically a master socket move is £65. You would have to speak to Sky to get an idea of what is possible.

However your Sky hub doesnt need to be near the line entry point. You can buy longer dsl modem cables for a copper service although go over 10m and speeds might drop. With full fibre the link is a simple ethernet cable so you are good for up to 100m with Cat5e.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
gobur
Topic Author

Thanks Chrisee... That makes sense to my non technical mind.. Its Fibre to house what I'm on and its got 3 connecting cables coming out of the box which is attached to the wall.. Ive managed to persude the Son In Law who is more up to date with tech stuff than this old codger.. I shall let him see your reply and hope it dosnt need an engineer again.Thanks again..  Watch this space for updates..

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@gobur moving the new ONT isnt trivial so if your son in law can run an ethernet cable from the ONT to a more convenient place for the hub it will save money. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
gobur
Topic Author

Hi... All sorted.. A small re-routing by S-i-L solved my mess.. I'm happy now. It looks much better and not clustered. Thanks again Chrisee..

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion