Discussion topic: Roaming Wifi

This message was authored by Dan+in+Kirrie This message was authored by: Dan+in+Kirrie

Roaming Wifi

HI. I have an iPhone 11 running iOS 17.3.1 and it won't connect to the strongest/nearest signal as I move about the house. The main router is downstairs and there's a booster upstairs. I have to manually connect to the booster if I go upstairs. Anyone know where the setting is to get it to re-connect aitomatically? Thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Roaming Wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dan+in+Kirrie 

Is the booster a Sky booster using the same SSID as your hub?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Dan+in+Kirrie
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dan+in+Kirrie This message was authored by: Dan+in+Kirrie

Hi. The booster is a Netgear one but I am using the same SSID. It just shows as "_EXT" on the end of the SSID name. 

@Dan+in+Kirrie 

Then it wont roam automatically. 

It needs to be either a mesh system or your booster has an identical SSID so your phone thinks its an extension of the WiFi network its already connected to. No device will hop WiFi networks if they different names as it will hold on to the currently connected network. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Dan+in+Kirrie
Topic Author

That's great. Very helpful. Do you happen to know if Sky have boosters available that would solve my problem?

@Dan+in+Kirrie 

They do indeed have boosters and it would solve the problem you are having. However you can't get them outright from Sky you have to have the broadband boost subscription addon for your package.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Dan+in+Kirrie 

Sky loans booster hardware free under the terms of the WiFi Guarantee element of the Broadband Boost and Max WiFi subscription supplements, and to fix Q television problems: they don't otherwise provide or sell them. Inevitably some have leaked onto a certain auction site, but Sky won't offer support with using these.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion