Discussion topic: Replacing Sky Router

This message was authored by AliDray This message was authored by: AliDray

Replacing Sky Router

Hi all!

I currently have FTTP connection and have a TP-Link Deco M5 Mesh setup, my aim is to replace the Sky router with any other one that can be put into bridge mode (or equivelant) and let the Deco setup take care of all the routing. I have tried other routers in the past but they either wont work with FTTP or dont have a bridge mode. 

Has anyone else got a similar setup and would be able to suggest a new router for me?

Thanks in advance 🙂

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Replacing Sky Router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AliDray 

You do not need a router that had bridge mode, when using FTTP the Openreach ONT is your modem so the router connecting to that will just be a router and will be the device to authenticate on your line.

If you want to use the TP-Link deco system you'll have to try getting it to work via IPv6 as I do not believe it supports DHCP Option 61 authentication which is what is required for traditional IPv4 authentication.

Alternatively you could look at getting a different third party router such as an Asus as they are known to work.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
AliDray
Topic Author

I never thought of trying that! I will give it a go! thanks!

can you get any adapters for the VOIP phone to still work, ive seen some but im not sure that would work in the way i want too.

This is what im looking at https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6WN3YZ/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A3GL1BA201XJVN&psc=1

@AliDray 

No, if you still want to use Sky Voice you MUST keep the Sky router in place. The Sky router does not have modem mode either.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
AliDray
Topic Author

Thanks for info! I got it working direct to the ONT but the wifi keeps dropping intermittently, is there any settings that I need to change to stop this from happening?

Thanks

@AliDray 

You'd need to check if its just the WiFi or ethernet connections as well because that will tell you whether the router is losing WAN connection or just dropping WiFi connections.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
AliDray
Topic Author

Hi, it was just wifi that was dropping - everything wired was working fine

@AliDray 

In which case thats a question for TP-Link as the Sky line has nothing to do with the WiFi radios on the Deco system

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by Alastair7380 This message was authored by: Alastair7380

hi @AliDray. were you able to get the wifi from dropping? Also, can you share the settings/steps that you used to get the TP-Link Deco connected directly. Thx

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion