Discussion topic: Replacing Sky Broadband hub with third party router

This message was authored by Daveys123 This message was authored by: Daveys123

Replacing Sky Broadband hub with third party router

Hey folks,

I just tried to upgrade through Sky from the hub to the WiFi max hub but it's not yet available as an upgrade in my area. They said to buy the WiFi max hub from Sky retail shop but I just read that wouldn't let me use the parental features on My Sky app.

I'm now looking at buying a third party router as while I'm reasonably tech savvy I want to get as close to a straight swap out as possible!

I have Superfast plus on MER connection. We get around 450mb down and 75up. About 12-15 devices streaming games and UHD tv content. Reasons for new router are;

Parental controls per device using the WiFi (got two Fortnite addicts in the house!)

Improved range over the Sky hub as got couple of rooms that struggle with connection at the back of the house.

Budget is £100-200. Any recommendations or advice greatly received!!

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Replacing Sky Broadband hub with third party router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Daveys123 sounds like you got Sky's B team. First point Sky have confiirmed to the forum Super Users that the Wifi Max is available in all areas the confusion is that currently if customers have Sky Q equipment or older Sky boosters the system will not allow an order to be placed. Second point Sky do not sell their hubs they are all supplied on loan. If you did find one for sale it wouldn't work as Sky have to configure it to work on your account. 

Having straightened that out Wifi Max is currently incompatable with Sky Q kit which is the usual reason why customers cannot order. If that doesn't apply to you please post again and a Super User will escalate your issue to the Sky team who support the forum. We have been expecting the system to be adapted to support Sky Q since launch last summer but to date it doesn.t.

You can use third party routers with Sky full fibre services but not all units can cope with Sky's authentication system. In essence Asus and Netgear routers can be connected but those from TP-Link dont have the necessary support at the moment. Using your own router means you lose the voice line facility and Sky wont provide support until the Sky hub is reinstalled.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Daveys123
Topic Author
This message was authored by Daveys123 This message was authored by: Daveys123

@Chrisee  Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! I'm going to buy a new router as we've got Sky Q and can't wait to get the parental controls on the WiFi acces for my son's ps5 any longer!

I thought I had FTTC as the broadband settings show an MER connection and there id need a dsl router.....BUT.... I have an ONT box which makes me think I have FTTP and can get an ASUS RT AX series router and not a dsl router. 

any ideas on that? Thank you!!!

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Daveys123 if you have an ONT you can use most any Asus or Netgear unit as they support DHCPv4 Option61 Sky use on both FTTC and FTTP. Asus routers are widely used and if you search the forum you will find a walk through for most models.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion