Discussion topic: Replacement router

This message was authored by Cheshireprowler This message was authored by: Cheshireprowler

Replacement router

Hello I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some answers to my poor Wi-Fi.

I have sky q and have  recentky upgraded to sky fibre fttp.

we don't live in a particulary large house but for as long as I can remember the Wi-Fi has always been poor with sky.

upgrading hasn't made much difference

signal constantly dropping out.

im getting 150 mbps at the hub but move only a few meters away and it can be less then half this speed. Getting and keeping a signal to the other side of the house is hit and miss at the best I also have a sky booster which just dosent seem to help.

So I was thinking about purchasing a much better third party router that's compatable with sky Q (DHCPv4 Option 61.)

my question is do you think this is a good start before thinking about wireless access points.

which are the best routers that are compatable for my needs.

I don't need loads of features just something that hopefully will provide better Wi-Fi.

thank you

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Replacement router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Cheshireprowler you can replace the router if you want but two things to consider before you do. Firstly do you nedd to usethe Sky landline phone? If you do then you need to keep the SR203 connected to thhe ONT. Second point can you hard wire your Q TV boxes? If you cannot then you will need to keep a Sky wifi signal as Q minis cannot connect to thitd party wifi.

While it is possible to add a third oarty wifi access point to your set up assuming you still need Sky wifi for your Q boxes you would need to ensure tge two networks dont intefere which is possible but fiddly. My own solution when I had Sky Q was to improve the conne ction from the hub to the furthest Q boxes so their wifi hot spots were faster. I used powerline adaptersxas direct ethernet was rather inconvenient. Powerline sends data over your home's mains cables. This gave me fast wifi throughout my home.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Cheshireprowler 

All asus rt ax wifi 6 routers have dhcp option 61 and therefore can be directly connected to the ont however this would mean you lose sky internet calls 

Or they can be be etherneted to your broadband hub and set to access point mode so that you can use internet calls via the sky hub and the wifi will be much better

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Cheshireprowler you can replace the router if you want but two things to consider before you do. Firstly do you nedd to usethe Sky landline phone? If you do then you need to keep the SR203 connected to thhe ONT. Second point can you hard wire your Q TV boxes? If you cannot then you will need to keep a Sky wifi signal as Q minis cannot connect to thitd party wifi.

While it is possible to add a third oarty wifi access point to your set up assuming you still need Sky wifi for your Q boxes you would need to ensure tge two networks dont intefere which is possible but fiddly. My own solution when I had Sky Q was to improve the conne ction from the hub to the furthest Q boxes so their wifi hot spots were faster. I used powerline adaptersxas direct ethernet was rather inconvenient. Powerline sends data over your home's mains cables. This gave me fast wifi throughout my home.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Cheshireprowler
Topic Author
This message was authored by Cheshireprowler This message was authored by: Cheshireprowler

Thanks for your replies 

ok so I don't really need the voip facility so I can do away with my sky hub and just use a new router.

I could at a push hard wire both main sky q box and mini.

just for argument sake let's say I don't / can't wire the boxes.

in that case how would I keep a sky Wi-Fi signal aswell as the new routers Wi-Fi .

sorry if this is basic stuff 🤦🏼‍♂️

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Cheshireprowler 

So your main Sky Q box can connect to any WiFi router, if you do away with the Sky hub you'd just connect the main Sky Q box to your new 3rd party router. However any mini boxes you have then can only connect back to the main Q box, not your WiFi router.

I think the point @Chrisee is trying to make is that if any of your Sky Q mini boxes are out of range of your main Q box & you cant hardwire it then you may have an issue. If they are all within range of the main box then your fine. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Cheshireprowler
Topic Author

Thanks for all your replies the must of confusion is begging to clear thanks to you guys 👍🏼👍🏼

This message was authored by jn999 This message was authored by: jn999

Hi, I'm about to do the same

(get a new Wi-Fi router as the sky one just isn't doing the job) but my sky q minis have to connect via Wi-Fi, I can't cable them ans I've tried powerline and it doesn't work. 

Contrary to what some of you said I did see an option in network settings on the minis to connect to a non sky router, so now I'm a bit confused when a couple of you say it need the sky router Wi-Fi signal. 

Will I be able to connect the ski minis through the new non sky router?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion