Discussion topic: Problems with Internet access freezing needing a hub reboot

Derek+Lester
Topic Author
This message was authored by Derek+Lester This message was authored by: Derek+Lester

Re: Problems with Internet access freezing needing a hub reboot

The PC is connected via Ethernet. When I report it as an issue, they check the line and say they can't see an issue, so their system will not allow them to raise a case.

Last time when it went down I called them up, they checked and said they could see an issue, asked me to restart the router and declared it fixed!

Derek+Lester
Topic Author
This message was authored by Derek+Lester This message was authored by: Derek+Lester

It went down again last night around 19:30 and it wouldn't come back up after a reboot. After contacting SKY we disconnected the Openreach connection and powered down the connection. We powered down the router and waited a few minutes, then brought the router back up until the power and WIFI lights came on, then we powered up the openreach box and plugged it in. After a while it all came back up again. 

However it went down again around 23:00, so the shortest uptime yet. I rebooted it in the morning and it is back up currently.

I have raised an official complaint with SKY, not that I expect them to be any help. I am now logging every outage and taking a copy of the SKY log each time, but the pre-outage issue is not in the log as they get wiped with every re-boot, so not at all helpful.

Next step will be to raise a case with the Ombudsman, once SKY acknowledge the complaint and I have suffucuent evidence.

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

So today I had BT on site, they remade the fibre connection outside and fitted me a new internal connection box.

Whilst testing we noticed a number of things:

1. If we disconnected the fibre connection into the internal box, the SKY router still thought is was connected, both the internet and VOIP lights stayed green, even though there was no external connection! Even the SKY config page was still reporting it was connected, no matter how long we waited it never realised it was disconnected.

2. When the router is functioning correctly,  if the fibre connection is removed and replaced, the SKY router doesn't come back up, so any interruption in service from BT and the router doesn't recover.

3. When the router is in the non functioning state in 2 above, disconnecting the WAN cable from the router and reconnecting it restores connectivity, go figure?

So any diisruption in external service, however small,  will cause the router to basically go off line and it will never recover without either removing the WAN cable or re-booting the router completely.

Does anyone else have a similar issue?

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@Derek+Lester During the testing, did you observe the status off led's both ONT and Router and version of FW that the router is on, this should be reported to sky, looks like you are well on way now, very disconcerting that the router still thinks it is online. Removal of the WAN cable, router should see ethernet disconnected and then reconnected and initialise the connection procedure.

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

When the fibre was disconnected going into the Openreach Box, the SKY router still thought it was connected, all lights stayed green! The VOIP still had a dial tone, no idea how. Obviously it wouldn't make a call.

When it failed, unplugging the WAN cable and plugging it in again allowed it to come back up, easier than powering down and back up again, but not a lot of good when you are not home and you rely on the Internet for security.

Firmware is version 7.02.0201.R

Derek+Lester
Topic Author
This message was authored by Derek+Lester This message was authored by: Derek+Lester Answer

Having had the external connection replaced the internet has been up for over a week now without an issue, longest period for 4 months. So it seems the external connection was momentarily dropping the connection and the SKY Router doesn't recover from that.

@Derek+Lester Just trying to see how every thing is going, got an OP with similar fault chasing from back in Jan, so wondering if you final fix sorted all the problems you had, Jim

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

I still have an issue whereby if the external internet connection goes down for any time then the router loses connection and does not recover without a reboot. I can connect to it internally from a PC but there is now way I can see to make it restart.

@Derek+Lester So still same symptoms, orange voip light on, pull ethernet fixes?

And if so will keep you posted with the other OP also. Thanks for getting back. Jim

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

Not quite the same, all green lights on the router, but no internet access and no voip phone, needs a reboot to get it running again. So the router thinks it is working ok but no internet. Logging into the router shows no internet connection and trying to restart it while logged in doesn't work.

Have to say this is quite rare now, only a couple of times since my last post.

@Derek+Lester So, did the fibre remake, fix the original voip orange light fault, trying to establish this, you certainly seem to be getting more issues now, hope i havn't opened the can of worms.... Jim

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

Yes, the remake of the connection resolved the issue I had previously with losing the connection and getting orange lights. To be fair, it is pretty solid now with the occasional loss of connection requiring a reboot. Funny thing is, we had an outage around 3:30 am this morning, which didn't bring it down, wonder if SKY were doing updates.

@Derek+Lester New fw being pushed.

This message was authored by KevNewMediaThis message was authored by:KevNewMedia

‎11 Mar 2024 10:34 AM

Posted by a Sky employee

Here are the new versions of firmware everyone:

Device Version Hub 4 7.03.0509.R Hub 3.5 4.13.0509.R Hub 3 4.03.0509.R
Thanks
Kev
Community Manager
This message was authored by Romeo+W This message was authored by: Romeo+W

@Derek+Lester what do you mean by 'remaking the connection'? I've been having a similar issue with the orange voice light coming on. 

Derek+Lester
Topic Author

So when the external supply connection fails and then reconnects, the router doesn't recover and even though the connection is live again it does not pass through the router, which then needs a reboot.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion