Discussion topic: PlayStation Portal glitching

This message was authored by AldoMontoya This message was authored by: AldoMontoya

PlayStation Portal glitching

Hi. I have a Sky Q system (router plus main Q box and 3 minis, all hardwired, network split and 2.4ghz switched off on all boxes except router). 

With most devices hardwired things largely work okay so I get around the ropey WiFi. 

got a PlayStation Partal for Xmas. It's simply unplayable over WiFi. PS5 is hardwired. It glitches and sometimes just freezes for 2-3 seconds. 

If I hotspot my phone, and connect the Portal to that it works perfectly so this is something in the router. 

any suggestions? I can go out and buy a whole new network but that seems harsh for something that should just work. 

Thanks!

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: PlayStation Portal glitching

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AldoMontoya 

This thread suggests the Portal struggles with the combined 2.4/5 GHz signal.  I've posted the procedure for splitting the bands below, but be aware that this will require some current devices to be reconnected.

As posted by @jamesn123

Note that this process does not apply to the new (white) Max Hub

So to split the two channels you need to go to your router config page which can be found by typing 192.168.0.1 into your web browser.

To access the page, you'll need;

username: admin

password: sky OR your WiFi password

- Select wireless from the navigation bar and scroll down a little and untick the 'Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings'

- Scroll to the bottom of the page and hit apply.

- Once the page reloads you need to go to the 5GHz wireless settings page on the sub navigation bar below where you click wireless before

- In the 5GHz section you want to go to the box called 'Name (SSID)' and add something like 5g to the end of the current name

- Scroll down and hit apply

- Then on any wireless device you should now see two networks. One network will be the same name as usual and will be 2.4GHz band and the other will be the usual name with 5G on the end (Or whatever you typed). Connect any 5GHz capable device to the 5GHz network and see if it works correctly. The WiFi password should be the same if you havent changed it.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
AldoMontoya
Topic Author
This message was authored by AldoMontoya This message was authored by: AldoMontoya

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion. I already have the two networks split with unique SSIDs too. This router just seems bad...

This message was authored by JOHNxEIRE This message was authored by: JOHNxEIRE

Try WiFi, I did in the end. And here's the thing my PS5 is connected to 2.4Ghz WiFi with PSP on 5Ghz yet it works really well; granted I'm in range though the moment I changed frequency to 40mhz either band it went wonky so leave them on default

- yet to try 5Ghz both devices and you'd think it'd be the logical thing so you might want to. Maybe I did already; can't remember I tried so many variables I'll give it a go later on but it's a huge relief to see this thing stream without any hiccups so I will get 'round to it...

AldoMontoya
Topic Author

Please let me know. I've tried all combos without success. Thanks!

This message was authored by StevieCooper This message was authored by: StevieCooper

is there any further update to this? my Portal is unusable on the Sky Wifi

AldoMontoya
Topic Author

@StevieCooper  - good news and bad news...

Good news - I've solved the problem, and it now works perfectly

Bad news - I don't use the sky router for wifi anymore. It's now just a modem, and I've installed a deco mesh which works perfectly. Sadly the sky router (with or without mesh, split 5ghz or not) is just rubbish and doesn't work.

This message was authored by arejennings1137 This message was authored by: arejennings1137

Right, just incase anyone is still struggling, the issue is with the Mesh system. I can only confirm this works with the ps5 connected via Ethernet, but it works for me.
I have the PS5 connected via a gigabit switch with Ethernet.

I found that when connecting directly to the Hub 4 the ps5 wouldn't stay connected in rest mode.

My SSID is split.

On all sky boxes you must turn off 2.4 in the installer menu (google how to access)  you cannot turn off 5ghz unless the sky box is connected via Ethernet as it uses the 5ghz band to communicate to the rest of the MESH. You then connect the portal to the 2.4ghz.

This forces the portal to only use the router as everything else sky related will have 2.4 switched off.

The issue is the Portal struggles with the MESH so by doing all this it takes the MESH out of the equation. Obviously this will mean you can only go so far from your router, but in a normal townhouse this is no issue.

AldoMontoya
Topic Author

Hope this works for others but it didn't for me @arejennings1137 - I tried all combos. Considering I also had other items like my printer and Sonos devices that were problematic with the Sky mesh, it's not a portal-only problem. 

Portal and ALL my devices work perfectly on the Deco Mesh now, with no messing about splitting networks etc (and a million other posts with issues with Sky mesh) there's an obvious area of blame 😁

This message was authored by Mr+Dinkles This message was authored by: Mr+Dinkles

Would you mind sharing which Deco Mesh you bought please, seems like a few versions are available. Thanks

AldoMontoya
Topic Author

Sure, it's the XE75 variant. Hope this helps!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion