Discussion topic: PPPOE codes for connection to third party router

This message was authored by Chrisbarry This message was authored by: Chrisbarry

Re: PPPOE codes for connection to third party router

@MCORN @mae-3 

Update - Still not working
I have just seen these images @MCORN (thank you) and will give this a try within the next 24hours and let you know how I get on.

so far this £270 router has been a pretty good paper weight 😕 

synology think it might be a hardware issue - it isnt.

This message was authored by MCORN This message was authored by: MCORN

Sounds like you're going through the same experience I did. Hopefully it work's even though it's not meant to 👍

This message was authored by MCORN This message was authored by: MCORN

Wondering if my settings worked for you?

This message was authored by Huntforserenity This message was authored by: Huntforserenity

hi Guys,

would i be able to use WRT3200acm with sky broadband? If so how do i do this?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Huntforserenity You need to give the type of service you buy from Sky whether over copper, if so whether it is VDSL (Superfast) or G.Fast (Ultrafast) or whether you have full fibre to your home and whether you are innthe UK or Ireland. In addition do you require to use the Sky Landline?. That model number is a Linksys unit according to Google is that correct? 

Short answer most routers can be connected behind a Sky hub in a double NAT set up which is simple and easy to set up. Connecting directly is considerably more complex hence tge questions above.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Huntforserenity This message was authored by: Huntforserenity

Hi @Chrisee,

I'm currently using sky superfast in the UK. I don't require the sky landline. 

yes it is a linksys wrt3200acm. Would prefer to use the linksys router than the sky one. Thanks in advance.

@Huntforserenity you will need to source a VDSL modem to connect to a Superfast line. However I cannot find anything that says the Linksys supports the required DHCPv4 Option 61 Sky use to authenticate UK connections. 

You could run it in a double NAT set up behind another router but cheapest would be to use the Sky hub which has the modem and can authenticate the connection you can disable its wifi and bypass its firewall by using its DMZ function. Another possible set up is to run the Linksys behind the Sky hub in bridge/access point mode taking advantage of its superior wifi.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Huntforserenity 

The Linksys WRT3200ACM can take open-source firmware that does support DHCP Option 61, two open-source projects to look at are OpenWRT and DD-WRT for Linksys and other routers.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by chrissypissy This message was authored by: chrissypissy

I think this is the right string to resolve my current issue, which i am exhausted with.

@chrissypissy the string you need is anything@skydsal|anything key thing is the. @skydsl and the divider | which is a pipe symbol and varies between keyboards.

This message was authored by chrissypissy This message was authored by: chrissypissy

I shall be posting the full extent of my issue at work tomorrow as I think what has been discussed in here is of a similar nature.

Morning all,

So here goes.....

I bought a T-Link mesh system and never realised it wouldnt work with the old fashioned telephone cable, it needs the new fibre cable.  So i plugged them into my existing T-Link router and for one reason or another they were randomly playing up.  Even when i turned the router to modem mode, it wasnt a true 'modem only' mode the way it displayed itself.  I have a friend who's involved in a bit of IT and he learned that the T-Link router for one reason or another doesnt have the proper capabilities to act as a router or a certain functionailty that makes what i am trying to do impossible.

Also, sky has an authorisation protocol or something that he has never come across before.

I am currently with Sky on 'standard' 60MB broadband.  With two young kids its time to upgrade what i have at home so i have gone with Vodafone for 500MB broadband (fibre).  We have an existing normal old fashioned internet telephone connection.  Openreach has been messing about for about 3 months now so i'm inclined to give up with them and stick with 'normal' broadband but i wish to make use of my existing router so it works with the mesh system but I either need to find a 'cheap' router that i can switch to full modem only mode or is there something that my existing router is doing that is upsetting and confusing the mesh units?

Kind Regards,

Chris

@chrissypissy there are two issues which are separate but both need dealing with to connect to your current service from Sky. The first is the service is delivered over a copper cable using a system called VDSL so you need a modem that convert the VDSL signals into a data stream. Some routers come with a modem built-in some dont and you can buy a standalone VDSL modem.

The second issue is the router you choose has to be able to authenticate the Sky service. Irritatingly Sky use a slightly unusual system to do this known as DHCPv4 Option61. Not all routers support that including the TP-Link Deco system I assume you have. As you have discovered Sky's hubs like most ISP supplied routers does not have a "modem mode" before anyone chips in Virgin hubs do but that is due to history,

There are several options the simplest and cheapest is to continue to use the Sky hub to connect to the line, turn off its wifi annd connect the Deco set up in access point mode. My own system is doing exactly that after I returned Sky's latest Wifi Max hub.. The second option is to connect the Deco to to the hub configured as a router in what is known as a Double NAT setup which works for most apps but things like TP-Links parental control are unlikely to work properly but you lose that in Access Point modexas well.

The third option is to buy a new third party combined modem router which has the capability to connect to Sky services which most TP-Link, Netgear and Asus models do but note TP-Link routers cannot currently link to Sky's true fibre services which maybe important in the future or not. There are various other permuntations but whether they apply depend on what services you need and your budget.

Word about transfer from copper to full fibre. Vodafone like Sky BT etc use Openreach's network. Openreach are in the middle of a programme to connect most addresses to a full fibre service. Even when your road has the services available running the fibre to your home can be complicated. Upgrading my connection took 4 months last year. It involved no fewer than 6 separate bits of work including in theory digging up the road - thst was avoided as a bright engineer found a way to run a rod through a supposed missing duct. This takes time and is a pain but it was worth it as not only is the connection faster it is far more reliable and removes the need for messing around with modems.At some point the copper connection is planned to be decommissioned. 

Thank you very much for the detailed response.  While I wait for OpenReach i think the easiest option is to use the Sky Hub and turn off the wifi and use my Deco's as access points.  Now i did try the sky hub before and turned the wifi off but I could do with confirmation if there's any other settings i need to know about as last time i tried (From memory) the connection wasnt particularly stable and kept dropping out so i went back to my TLink router while i continued to wait for fibre.

@chrissypissy my Sky hub is running stably with both of its wifi bands switched off and Decos set up as Access Points. You need the hub still to provide a firewall and DHCP services so really no other settings need changing.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion