Discussion topic: PPPOE codes for connection to third party router

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: PPPOE codes for connection to third party router

@Chrisbarry 

I believe the Synology router has 2 WAN ports, can you try setting up the 2nd WAN port with DHCP Option 61 and the 'home' hostname field and swapping the cable over to that port between the ONT and router?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Chrisbarry This message was authored by: Chrisbarry

Good idea.

I will try this a little late this afternoon and get back to you @mae-3 

Tha k you again

This message was authored by Chrisbarry This message was authored by: Chrisbarry

@mae-3 

No luck with the second WAN port.

I cannot believe how hard this it! I feel like I have exhausted all options.

@Chrisbarry 

Sorry, I have run out of ideas on what is wrong with the setup. Because the interface is disconnected, one may have a faulty cable between the Synology router's WAN port and the ONT have you tried a different cable? I have assumed it is a straight ethernet Synology wireless router, eg: not ADSL2+/VDSL2...

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3 

Tried 2 cables including the one I am using with the current router...so nothing to do with the ethernet cable. It is a synology rt6600ax...so yes, I normal router.

Thank you for all your help.

@Chrisbarry 

The usual one I have advised on is the Synology rt2600ac and that only needed the 'home' hostname and DHCP Option 61 fields, it may be an idea to contact Synology for support to see whether they can provide any further information on the rt6600ax concerning this matter with Sky authentication DHCP Option 61.

I've written it down as a firmware bug myself... 😎

-------

This message was authored by MCORN This message was authored by: MCORN

Hi @mae-3 i couldnt get my ASUS XT9 working through the sky ONT using option61 config (UK).

I did mange to use PPPoE. Please see attached x2 images (same page just split as couldnt zoom out).

Please note:

User name is the MAC address of your Sky router (on the back)

Password can be anything

Hope this helps someone, may be usefull for other routers.

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 10.06.08.png

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 10.07.28.png

@MCORN 

PPPoE would be the correct configuration for the ROI.

-------

Hi not sure what you mean by ROI? 

@MCORN 

ROI - Republic of Ireland. If you are in the UK then PPPoE isn't the correct configuration unless one is using DHCPv6 PD additionally which authenticates on 80% of broadband exchanges in the UK.

-------

Hi apologies if it wasn’t clear. I'm in the UK using an ASUS XT9 direct to an ONT socket and it’s working perfectly.

Tried all the forums ie option 61 config which would not work. 

I've not changed any other settings in the ASUS XT9.

Not sure if this is a new thing with SKY  ref (DHCPv6)

@MCORN 

DHCPv6 PD is pretty new and under the IPv6 tab, you'll find it is switched on with the Asus.

-------

Hi IPv6 is disabled on mine.

Guess there must be x2 ways to connect to ONT (SKY) internet in the UK

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 11.33.46.png

@MCORN 

Very unusual, as Sky only use DHCP Option 61 and DHCPv6 PD in the UK and this is the first connection I've seen connected to the ONT with Sky that I've witnessed authenticated with PPPoE with a third-party router. Can you please check that your public IP address belongs to Sky by googling 'what is my IP address' and seeing whether it is allocated to Sky?

-------

This came up when i searched 

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 11.49.46.png

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion