Discussion topic: Over the last few weeks our wifi has been dropping randomly during the day.

This message was authored by RBeck This message was authored by: RBeck

Over the last few weeks our wifi has been dropping randomly during the day.

We normally have very good connection but our neighbour had an issue, White van comes and tinkers with our box and low and behold we now have problems. 

If I'm on my phone, WiFi only sometimes reconnects automatically.

I've run the Sky app diagnostic to test the line and all reported ok.

I'm not at all technical but managed to grab the statistics that I've seen asked for here previously, but only when the WiFi was working so I'm worried that's not going to help. I'll post a screenshot here anyway.

Does anyone have any thoughts??

Screenshot_20240320_073547_Samsung Internet.jpg

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Over the last few weeks our wifi has been dropping randomly during the day.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RBeck your hub is connecting at 40Mb/s down which looks to be the maximum for the product you buy. However I can see you have a very old singleband Sky hub. This only uses the slower 2.4GHz wifi band which is prone to interference which could be your problem. Simply rebooting the hub by disconnecting the power for a few seconds msybhelp as the hub will try to find the least congested wifi band. 

However you could call Sky and ask them to swap your old hub for one of the current dualband models which the normally will but if you are out of contract they may require you to re-contract with them. 

Thecstats show a number of packet collisions on the ethernet LAN connection which will slow things down on wired devices. Do you have devices using both wifi and the LAN?

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
RBeck
Topic Author

@Chrisee 

Thank you so much already!

I'm not very techy but no I don't think I have anything using LAN - that's the cable I think?

@RBeck the stats you posted show traffic using the ethernet cabled connection - do you have a wifi access point connected to the hub perhaps by a powerline adapter?

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
RBeck
Topic Author

Hi @Chrisee

I have a booster attached actually. So one BT booster attached to the Sky hub box and 2 further boosters around the house.

@RBeck those boosters can be part of the issue as unless you are very lucky the wifi signals from those can be interfering one with another.

RBeck
Topic Author

Oh no!! To be fair they've been very helpful until recently, and the wifi signal has been rloable. It's strange that it has suddenly started dropping 🤷‍♀️

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@RBeck 

I highly doubt this is a Sky issue. 

For starters an engineer fixing your neighbours broadband connection is not going cause your phone to intermittently auto reconnect to your network, that is nothing to do with the outside connection and all to do with either your router or Wireless access points.

If you have BT boosters connected providing you with a signal then you'd have to blame those first.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
RBeck
Topic Author

Thanks James. How strange they've been nothing but beneficial until now but I'll look into it. Thanks for your help

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion