Discussion topic: New mobile says weak security on my home wifi

This message was authored by zoeyvonne This message was authored by: zoeyvonne

New mobile says weak security on my home wifi

Hi I just got a new mobile and it says weak security under my home wifi, it's saying my hub needs to be wap2 or wap3 and doesn't let me onto the internet although it's ticked to say it's connected, my other phone is accessing the internet fine? Any ideas how to change the router to wap3 or wap2 please 

All Replies

This message was authored by DipDipDipam This message was authored by: DipDipDipam

Re: New mobile says weak security on my home wifi

What router do you have? Is it the sky q router?

---------------------------------------------------------
Sky q 2tb HDR, ultrafast 150mb, 4 mini boxes, Asus Zenwifi xt8 mesh WiFi x 2
Full sky package except kids & bt sport
Samsung 65" QLED TV with 6500k CRI 98 bias lighting and blackout blinds, Denon X3600h AVR, Dali Oberon 7 floor standing speakers, vokal centre speaker, Oberon on the wall rear speakers, c1 Atmos speakers, e12f subwoofer, Panasonic DPUB820 4k blu ray player, Chromecast with Google TV, Atacama Evo hifi rack and about £1000 worth of cables to go with it all
zoeyvonne
Topic Author

I have sky Q and yes the router is for that, I also have sky buddy and my new phone went to the home account which has some restrictions set for my teenage son, I've moved my phone to my own account and WiFi now seems ok and doesn't say weak anymore! 
sky buddy has been a complete nightmare for many reasons so I assume it was that blocking my WiFi (though my son who it's intended to block gets through it seemelessly) thanks for your reply, I'll come back if this doesn't stay sorted. Kind regards

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@zoeyvonne 

WPA2 or 3 rather than 'wap2 or wap3': WPA is Wi-Fi Protected Access.  

A current Sky Hub should use WPA2-PSK by default: neither BT or Sky currently support WPA3 on their routers (the next versions undoubtedly will).  Apple have decided, somewhat arbitrarily, that only WPA3 should be acceptable.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
zoeyvonne
Topic Author

Thankyou, not sure if that was me all Bleary eyed as it was early or autocorrect 😂 

Hopefully it's sorted out now, seems annoying apple choose what's best and messes with your ability to browse 🤷🏻‍♀️

This message was authored by Dalbs This message was authored by: Dalbs

I'm having exactly same difficulty; what did you do to solve it

This message was authored by Gia2211 This message was authored by: Gia2211

I tried many solutions online , but finally solved it by restarting the Wi-Fi router and your iPhone before you connect to the Wi-Fi.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@TimmyBGood 

Apple only needs WPA2(AES) currently implemented or better, the warning message doesn't come up then. Apple is complaining about WPA2-TKIP, which is weak security and only the messenger that the router is set up incorrectly. This nonsense about Apple requiring WPA3 is just that.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@mae-3 the black Sky hubs all default to a setting labelled as WPA2-PSK (AES) but we get regular reports of Apple ios devices reporting hubs which are sunsequentally proved to be running the default setting as insecure. Very recently we have seen a rash of issues where devices have said the hub's were running WEP. My own ios devices have never reported any issues and are  running the latest  ios settings. However my devices are not new enough to support WPA3.

The messages seem to be superious but the reason why ios devices issue the warning in the first place  is still live. I have seen similar posts on other isp's support forums so this is not an issue restricted to Sky hubs. The response I give is that if worried customers should check the setting on their hub themselves which can be done by opening the web interface or running Sky's service checker. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee 

It may be a bug in older releases of iOS that has been fixed in the latest release issued yesterday or people setting up their routers in WPA2-TKIP by mistake.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@mae-3 could be who knows. Key thing is unless someone has changed the setting Sky hubs run a level of wifi security that is reasonably secure. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee 

I think the key exchange in WPA2 (AES) may be suffering interference on the wireless band in these cases from neighbouring Wi-Fi systems when it is reported that the security is weak. But generally speaking, the packets of data passing around the wireless networks are generally safe for use currently.

-------

I would highly recommend that those with this issue upgrade to Sky Max and set WPA3-T or even WPA3 for their security if all their devices support the standard. From my experimentation, these security settings will lower the chance of interference from neighbouring Wi-Fi systems.

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion