Discussion topic: Moving house broadband already installed?

This message was authored by matt_matt_matt This message was authored by: matt_matt_matt

Moving house broadband already installed?

I purchased a flat at auction at the start of the month moving in to it in just ten days from now. Thought I'd get the ball rolling and see what broadband options i have and decided I'm going to go with Sky (currently living with parents so don't have current provider). I was going through the order process on sky website just to see if i could see what the waiting time was without finalising the order but when i put the address of the place I'm moving to it says

"
Looks like we have found an account associated with your address. Please enter the valid email address linked to the account in order to continue with your order".

I presume this means the current owner already has sky broadband set up? I'm thinking about contacting the current owners through the estate agents because they don't actually live in the property (its used as a holiday let) so i don't think they'll be transferring it to another property so cancelling the broadband may have slipped their mind, and that waiting until I've moved in may be harder to contact and a longer waiting time.

Also as i have no experience with this so if the current owners didn't cancel it would i be responsible for paying it or liable in any way for the current broadband? Cheers in advance 

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Moving house broadband already installed?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@matt_matt_matt  Hi welcome to the forum

The previous owners will need to cancel their services until that is done it's likely to stop you getting broadband.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GD1 wrote:

@matt_matt_matt  Hi welcome to the forum

The previous owners will need to cancel their services until that is done it's likely to stop you getting broadband.

There's always the new line route if you don't mind paying extra which will bypass any blocks on the existing line. Not sure what Sky charge for a new line these days but it used to be £49 when I last do it.

Topic Author
This message was authored by matt_matt_matt This message was authored by: matt_matt_matt

Cheers for the reply, I rang sky and they said someone has a line there already and it's quite a common problem, and will be up to them to cancel it, Iwont be able to order broadband online as long as they have a line open. However I can do it over the phone but that means I don't get the online deal, so what would have been £26 a month will be £35 a month if done over the phone.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion