Discussion topic: Moving access point for Fibre Optic cable into house., how to find out what ius possible

This message was authored by 124+969+262 This message was authored by: 124+969+262

Moving access point for Fibre Optic cable into house., how to find out what ius possible

Hi All.  I don't know wether the community needs to help, but here it goes.In 3 months we are knocking a few rooms about in the house, resulting in the office going upstairs, and the current office changing into my wife's dressing room.  So the current access point for the fFibre Optic cable behinf behind a block of cupbaords.  All i need to know is what is involved in changing where the cable comes into the house, so it will come into the new office.  THe Chatbot hasn't got an answer so I've been directed to the "community" rather than talking to an actual person.

thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Moving access point for Fibre Optic cable into house., how to find out what ius possible

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I'll move your post to the Broadband forum as it's not related to Sky Yahoo Mail.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Moving access point for Fibre Optic cable into house., how to find out what ius possible

@124+969+262 this is work that will require an engineer. It depends somewhat on the distance from the Grey Customer Service point on the outside of your home and the new entry point which will be but assuming its under 20m it should be possible. The engineer will run move the ONT to the new location drill a hole through the exterior wall and conectva new fibre pigtail back to the CSP and make a new weld to the fibre feed from the road.

You are best calling Sky discussing it with them they should give you a guide to the cost and arrange for either one of their own fibre trained engineers or an Openreach engineer to come out to do the work if its possible. 

Question could you leave the ONT where it is and run an ethernet cable to where you want the router?

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
124+969+262
Topic Author
This message was authored by 124+969+262 This message was authored by: 124+969+262

Thanks seems fine , and as I expected but where is the phone number, as I always wanted to ring and speak to a real person. Anyone know the number 

@124+969+262 if you have a phone connected to your Sky hub dial 150 otherwise follow through the contact us links at the bottom of every web page and you will eventually get a number starting 03 which are used to route calls which is why we are asked not go post random Sky numbers.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by pcsrvc This message was authored by: pcsrvc

I wonder if the author managed to get his moved. Sky has placed my ONT and modem IN MY LAUNDRY ROOM.

@pcsrvc who was at home when the install was done as the engineer should have discussed the location with them before doing the work. Both Sky and Openreach require some over 18 to be present for just this reason. 

I was there. I was not informed he was not going to place a cable from the laundry room to the lounge to place the modem in an appropriate place. I then went around in the estate and they did similar with another house. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@pcsrvc wrote:

I was not informed he was not going to place a cable from the laundry room to the lounge to place the modem in an appropriate place.. 

That wouldn't be within the scope of a standard FTTP installation: typically the ISP router goes adjacent to the ONT simply because that's the length of the preterminated ethernet cable they supply.  You could choose to have someone competent in network installation relocate it for you by making up a long ethernet cable from a reel.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Would it be possible to move the ONT itself if I hired an engineer for the job? I imagine a 10m fiber cable would take the ONT to my lounge where I could then plug the Ethernet cable to.

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@pcsrvc No, the equipment belongs to Openreach and only they or their approved contractors can move it, just buy a long Ethernet cable and move the router to where ever you want it.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@pcsrvc 

As @daveNOS indicates, the ONT is the demarcation point of the Openreach network and only Openreach can legitimately relocate it, which makes kits such a this one definitely unapproved and for educational purposes only ; )

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by J-mac This message was authored by: J-mac

Have recently moved and was looking at getting this done.  I'm just off the phone with sky and operator told me they have no way to request an ONT relocation only the phone master point.  Kind of annoying that the openreach guy hooking me up said it would be dead easy and I should call and get it moved.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion