Discussion topic: Higher cost for slower broadband?

steved1970
Topic Author
This message was authored by steved1970 This message was authored by: steved1970

Re: Higher cost for slower broadband?

you have been provisioned on a 40/10 Mbs service ('Superfast 35') because the wholesale supplier can't guarantee a speed that would justify an ISP charging a subscriber for an 80/20 Mbs service.

This sounds like it would be more expensive for faster speeds but it's actually cheaper than what I pay. That's the bit I don't understand.
Forgot to say it said I'm supplied from cabinet 9 if that means anything to you.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@steved1970 

Are you referring to your price being more expensive than an 'Ultrafast' package?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
steved1970
Topic Author
This message was authored by steved1970 This message was authored by: steved1970

IMG_8743.png

steved1970
Topic Author

I'm on the top one.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@steved1970 it does seem unfair but thst is like so many things in life. The way Sky price their products is down to them and unless it is grossly wrong the regulstors dont get involved. If you are out of contract you could try negotiating a better price over the phone which has worked for other customers

If you are still in the fixed term Sky have made an announcement of a price increase in April. 30 days before thst is applied you will be formally notified of hiw that increase affects you.  If you can find a cheaper service within that 30 days you can then switch without penalty . See this guide by USwitch  

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@steved1970 wrote:

IMG_8743.png

@steved1970 superfast is not on a special offer at the moment which is why the price is in black

the other 3 are on offer which is why the price is shown in red so at some point the prices will go back to normal as I know the normal price of Ultrafast  is currently £43

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

Even when you upgrade from Superfast35 you will not be offered the much cheaper introductory pricing, however the cost of fftp will still be slightly reduced from superfast.

A good thing in my opinion as it then encourages take up of full fibre.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@cuke wrote:

A good thing in my opinion as it then encourages take up of full fibre.

Which is why the wholesale pricing actively incentivises ISPs to make the offers.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/12/openreach-unveil-fttp-broadband-price-cuts-for-uk-isps... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion