Discussion topic: Higher cost for slower broadband?

This message was authored by steved1970 This message was authored by: steved1970

Higher cost for slower broadband?

Hi. First thing, is live chat not available anymore?

Second thing is why am I paying more for 35mbps than someone getting higher speeds? Surely the slowest speed should be the cheapest? I'm unable to work due to illness so every penny counts.

Steve.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Higher cost for slower broadband?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@steved1970 wrote:

Surely the slowest speed should be the cheapest?

Not necessarily: wholesale pricing doesn't have to work that way.  At the moment prices are being set to incentivise the migration to full fibre.

I'm unable to work due to illness so every penny counts.

You may want to look at the Sky Social Tariff, but note that's a 35Mbs product.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
steved1970
Topic Author
This message was authored by steved1970 This message was authored by: steved1970

Yes I'm going to look at that reduced cost option but I'm already on that speed anyway but it costs more than someone getting higher speeds. Think mine is £28 a month but if I could get faster broadband it would be around £25 for 70mbps or higher. Why am I paying £28 for around 35mbps?

It says I'm on the fastest available in my area which is quite shocking these days.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@steved1970 wrote:

It says I'm on the fastest available in my area which is quite shocking these days.

Not really: for FTTC at more than 800 metres from the fibre cabinet it's just physics.

@steved1970 

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/chart-of-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance-from-the-cabi... 

This message was authored by janmnnss This message was authored by: janmnnss

@TimmyBGood 

I'm only 170 meters from my cabinate it's at the end of my footpath and I can see it from my window. But my fibre speeds are terrible. 16mbps down and 10mpbs up. So I don't think it's JUST physics involved. I should be near the top end of FTTC capability but I'm no where near that.  

@steved1970 

Putting the address into the BT Wholesale Availability Checker should indicate which provisioning type is applicable.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

It's the table and the two text lines below it which are most useful.

Remove any personal information (such as the address itself) if you post an image.

steved1970
Topic Author

No idea what that means 😂

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@steved1970 

That the wholesale checker it will give us an idea of what speed you should get 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
steved1970
Topic Author

IMG_8783.png

steved1970
Topic Author

How do I know where and how far away from the cabinet I am?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@steved1970 

That shows a maximum of 46 Mbps and a handback threshold of 30Mbps this is the figure isps use to set their guarantees.  So either openreach have lowered the speed profile of your line or the cabinet you think is supplying you actually isn't. 

Could you post your hub stats

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

@steved1970 

@steved1970 wrote:

How do I know where and how far away from the cabinet I am?

Your stats may indicate how far you are from your cabinet via the line attenuation figures

@steved1970 

As @cookiemonsteruk indicates, you have been provisioned on a 40/10 Mbs service ('Superfast 35') because the wholesale supplier can't guarantee a speed that would justify an ISP charging a subscriber for an 80/20 Mbs service ('Superfast') : this does save you some money.

Until FTTP infrastructure is installed locally to you, that's very unlikely to change. The current target is to have full fibre available to 85% of UK addresses by 2026.

steved1970
Topic Author

Hopefully I've not shared anything I shouldn't.IMG_8791.jpegIMG_8792.jpegIMG_8794.jpegIMG_8795.jpegIMG_8796.jpeg

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion