Discussion topic: Help with Sky Q mini box and Sky Booster box with ethernet cable port.

This message was authored by Monna This message was authored by: Monna

Help with Sky Q mini box and Sky Booster box with ethernet cable port.

Hello this is my first post and I appreciate anyone who is kind enough to help.

I have Sky Q and two Sky Mini boxes in my house. I also have a Sky booster box with an ethernet cable port. One of my sky q mini boxes is always working perfectly. The other sky q mini box is constantly cutting out and loosing connection to the internet wi-fi. My sky booster box always connects to the wi-fi with no issues.

My questions are:

1)Would it be possible to use the ethernet cable port from my sky booster box that has a good Wifi signal and run it to my sky q mini box that is having issues connecting to wi-fi due to the distance from the router. It would be easy to run a ethernet cable to the problematic mini box but would this work?

2 ) If the above would work, how do I then make the sky mini box use the ethernet cable connection instead of it trying to constantly trying to connect over just the Wifi? Do I need to reset the booster box and also the sky mini box wait 30 seconds and then connect them or will the mini box just automatically pick up the ethernet? I can not find any settings on the sky mini box to use the ethernet connection. What’s the actual method and step by step guide I need to follow on both the mini box and sky booster box to link them via ethernet cable.

Many thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Help with Sky Q mini box and Sky Booster box with ethernet cable port.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Monna your proposed set up should work and you do not need to do anything to the Q mini to make it use the new connection. The network firmware should use the new connection and indeed it should improve the speed of the wifi hotspot the box provides. Ideally you would run the cable back to the hub rather than to a booster or indeed use powerline adapters between the bub and mini but using the booster is worth trying.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Monna
Topic Author
This message was authored by Monna This message was authored by: Monna

@by: Chrisee

Thank you for your help, I have tried with just plugging in the ethernet cable while I didn't reset or restart anything and it seems the sky q mini box is just automatically trying to connect via Wifi.

I am new to this forum so I don't know all the rules, am I allowed to post an external links to a YouTube video of someone who does a walkthrough of how to set it up? And maybe you could see if what he is doing is correct. According to the video he says you have to use the WPS button on your main router and the sky q mini box and plug in the ethernet cable. If am not allowed to post external links would it be possible for me to write the name of the video so you could find it on YouTube. As I would prefer an experts opinion on if that's how I should do it.

once again many thanks for your help.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Monna you cannot directly know what connection the Q mini is using as the system will send data down any available connection. If your Q mini is still not working properly talk to Sky to getyour set up checked by an engineer who can see which ports sre being used.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion