Discussion topic: Finally fibre installed but 100mbs linit?

This message was authored by Maximusuk2 This message was authored by: Maximusuk2

Finally fibre installed but 100mbs linit?

Hi, and i know possibly what the suggestions are going to be but some guidence would be appreciated!

finally after 4 years in my new build fibre has been installed! And today the engineers got it all installed. I live in a 3 story house, my daugtera bedrooms are ip on the third floor and both have sky mini boxes for tv and internet. As the computers are connected to the mini boxes via ethernet. All got installed and activated today 500mbs, all is good downstairs at the router. However i byhe kids rooms on there computers theyre limited to 100mbs.

i now know the mini boxes max at 100mbs what would be the best outcoke todo here?

or is the bedt thing todo to downgrade package to 100mbs??

Paul

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Finally fibre installed but 100mbs linit?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Maximusuk2 

Yes Sky Q boxes only have a 100mbps ethernet port so if your PCs are connected to Q mini boxes for internet they will be limited to 100mbps. If the PCs have WiFi chipsets in them it may be better to just connect them via WiFi to see if the speed is better than 100mbps (It might not be).

What you really should be doing, especially if you are gaming on any of the PCs, is to connect them via Powerline adapters. Now you might not get the full 500mbps to the PCs using Powerline but you'll get a much more stable connection.

As for the the question around your package, if you have no use for 500mbps then you may as well just downgrade to 100mbps. It totally depends how many people are in the house & what you use the internet for.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@Maximusuk2 

Yes Sky Q boxes only have a 100mbps ethernet port so if your PCs are connected to Q mini boxes for internet they will be limited to 100mbps. If the PCs have WiFi chipsets in them it may be better to just connect them via WiFi to see if the speed is better than 100mbps (It might not be).

What you really should be doing, especially if you are gaming on any of the PCs, is to connect them via Powerline adapters. Now you might not get the full 500mbps to the PCs using Powerline but you'll get a much more stable connection.

As for the the question around your package, if you have no use for 500mbps then you may as well just downgrade to 100mbps. It totally depends how many people are in the house & what you use the internet for.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Maximusuk2 it is not 100% clear from your post exactly what the issues are but Sky Q minis only have a 100Mb/s ethernet port while there is no hard limit on the speeds offered by the wifi hotspot it cannot of course be faster than the speed of the backhaul connection from the Q mini to the hub. Sky Q was developed around 2015 when home network speeds were well below 100Mb/s and the early mesh software system Sky used seems to have issues with carrying modern full fibre speeds.

You can buy third party wifi systems that can provide higher speeds but to get 500Mb/s in every room wont be cheap. Sky's own new system Wifi Max which comes with a new wifi6 hub and up to 3 extender pods promises 25Mb/s but is not currently compatable with Sky Q.

However before buying expensive kit consider few apps require speeds over 100Mb/s for example streaming HD video or playing on-line games use less than 10Mb/s Even streaming high quality UHD video uses less thsn 30Mb/s. My own system provides 500Mb/s in my main living area dropping to 200Mb/s which I find adequate. Buying extra bandwidth is more about. Support for multiple users than outrightvspeed for each device.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion