Discussion topic: Connecting Sky Q to third party broadband

This message was authored by Mike1955 This message was authored by: Mike1955

Connecting Sky Q to third party broadband

I'm having lots of problems connecting my third party router from County Briadband since a firmware upgrade. Signal is in and out all the time. Spoke to a CB engineer and he has suggested after an hour on the phone that the best solution is a factory reset of the Sky Q box.

What do people think of this idea and has anyone experienced this before? If so with what success? Did you lose any recordings? Thanks!

All Replies

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Re: Connecting Sky Q to third party broadband

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, Mike1955. I’ve escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this. 

Just look out for the colourful bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147 

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@Mike1955  Sky Q dose incorporate a Network Reset. 

No loss of recordings & easy enough to re connect,

I doubt that any benefit will be gained or network issues resolved by doing a full factory reset. 

(3rd party routers can have a knock on effect with Qmini box stability)

Going down a full factory reset will undoubtedly delete any recorded programming, so beware of choosing the correct option before committing.

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
Mike1955
Topic Author

Ok thanks. I've a busy day ahead so will pick this up later.

Mike1955
Topic Author

Have spent an hour on the phone to third party broadband provider and another hour with Sky agent. The case is still open as I now need to contact my broadband provider and the Sky agent said they would leave the case there until that happens 

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Update-We are closing this chat now as this matter has been resolved.  If there is anything else in the future we can help you with, please do not hesitate to reach out. Thanks.

This message was authored by ComicGeek This message was authored by: ComicGeek

Mike, we've got the same issue with County Broadband and Sky, how did you get it resolved in the end??

Mike1955
Topic Author

Please see my reply to John (unless you are one and the same?)

This message was authored by Johnf0361 This message was authored by: Johnf0361

@Mike1955 Mike sorry to be a nuisance. Could you post how you got this issue with County Broadband resolved.

BTW I am not the John you replied to previously 

@Addie15 Could you provide us with the resolution for this issue pleas.
There appear to be many of us County Broadband clients who suffer the same problem. 

Mike1955
Topic Author

Hi to anyone who is unfortunately having the same Sky connection problem we had after the change in router address. I will work backwards, I was out in touch with someone senior on the technical side, Leon, who eventually,sorted the problem out. Basically, he restored the original two addresses, 5g and 2g, and we have connected ever since without any issues. Well, if you ignore the fact that the County Broadband app doesn't work and hasn't since the Sky problem was sorted out. This has been outstanding for weeks! I was thinking of deleting the app and starting again. But that's a small issue.

So how did I end up with someone dealing direct on the technical side? As we were getting nowhere, I emailed the head honcho at CB. I've used that technique with other service issues when I feel I am getting nowhere with the usual tiers of customer service. Funnily enough that is exactly what I did when our combi boiler failed two days running (even after an engineer fixed one problem only for it to repeat). British Gas head office did contact us and kept in touch until the issue was resolved - another long story.

leon told me that the issue we had would affect all CB users who have Sky boxes. Luckily, they had an ex Sky engineer on payroll who helped sort the problem out, it was clearly something that hadn't anticipated.

Good luck sorting your issues out, update this site as it helps us all, and do persist with chasing CB, here are the contact details I used:

CB CEO Lloyd Felton email (done this way as Sky Community for some reason won't let me post the actual email address!) his first name then dot then surname @ countybroadband (one word) dot co dot uk - no gaps - if that fails just search for CEO county broadband

Thanks Mike this is very helpful. 

BTW The CB app will not work unless you have Smart WiFi set on at the router I.e. the single switchable SSID between 2.4 and 5ghz

Mike1955
Topic Author

Ok thanks John. Good luck sorting your problem out. I've contacted CB yet again so will see if they decide to respond this time. Otherwise it's back to their CEO!

This message was authored by ComicGeek This message was authored by: ComicGeek

Hi John - I emailed the CEO directly and to be fair they replied and resolved it the next morning.

In our case it was 100% how County Broadband set up their  IP addresses. 

The response from their technical team was 'The issue with Sky is that your router needs to have a public routable IP address, this has now been done so please test and let us know.'

It definitely resolved the Sky issue straightaway (after the normal power resets of the boxes, not factory resets).

They don't seem to do anything until you complain higher up enough though!! 

Thanks Comic Geek.

The CEO email address has been blocked by CB now and it just bounces back.

So I guess I will just have to keep plugging away at the support team. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion