Discussion topic: Confused with gigabit broadband issue

This message was authored by wobblymike This message was authored by: wobblymike

Confused with gigabit broadband issue

hi I am hoping that someone can help me with a very confusing situation I am experiencing.

I have ben a sky customer for many years but recently decided to switch broadband to a fibre provider. It was installed a few days ago, The installer showed me speeds I was getting at my new hub via his IPad, Wired 950Mb's - Wireless 400Mb/s.

I connected my new router directly to my Sky Q box via Ethernet cat 5e cable and reset my network for a wired connection. When it connected it did so via a random network name which I have never seen before and dont recognise.  I did a speed check via the Netflix speed checker and got 400Mb/s. A few minutes later my network name changed back to the name of my new router - speed test still showed 400Mb/s. I pulled the cable out of the Sky Q box - the network dropped out and then came back on with a speed of around 95Mb/s. I reset my network and joined via wireless - speed still 95Mb/s. I reinserted the ethernet cable into Sky Q and wireless speed more or less immediately went to 400Mb/s.  I repeated this a few times with the same result. I suspect that thre 400Mb;s speed I get is wireless not ethernet but I dont understanwd if that is so why the network drops out when I remove the ethernet cable. Can anyone help.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Confused with gigabit broadband issue

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@wobblymike 

Not entirely clear what you are asking, but you may well see faster speed on a Q box using WiFi rather than ethernet because some models only have 100Mbs ethernet chipset, plus 802.11ac wireless.   Given UHD streaming tops out at around 30Mbs, a Q box doesn't benefit from anything more: they aren't designed for multiple simultaneous downloads.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion