Discussion topic: Cannot connect to Ring 2 Doorbell

This message was authored by Solfer This message was authored by: Solfer

Cannot connect to Ring 2 Doorbell

I've read all the previous posts on this subject but am still getting nowhere with this.. Safe to say, if I had any hair left to pull out, it would've all gone this past 24 hours!

Have just switched from BT to Sky, had no issues setting up all my connected devices, except for the Ring doorbell. 

So, I've split the bands, done the renaming suggested, but the Ring refuses to complete the setup, just says "we had a problem adding this device to your account". I've seriously lost count of how many times I've tried now...

I've also tried disabling 5GHz, so the router is only using the 2GHz band. Still no different.

I've got my mobile, the Ring device and the router within a foot of each other while trying to get this set up. Nothing.

When the white light is spinning on the Ring device (which is permanently now) I can see there's a WiFi connection available called "Ring setup 6a", which I assume is used during the setup - however I never get to the point where it actually uses it...

At the point now where I'm close to launching either the router or the Ring doorbell out of the top bedroom window!! 🤬 

Best Answers
Solfer
Topic Author
This message was authored by Solfer This message was authored by: Solfer Answer

Re: Cannot connect to Ring 2 Doorbell

@Highlinder Strange update... After around 30-40 attempts, the update was suddenly successful, whilst I was in the middle of DMing Ring UK on Twitter.

Even more strange - it worked when the WiFi bands on the router were in sync mode rather than split. 🤷 I'd changed between those settings at least 10 times before, so  no idea why it suddenly worked, but happy it did! 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Solfer  Have you tried to factory reset the ring door bell. As you have split the bands and it sounds like it can see the 2.4 GHz band for the Sky router or can't it?

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Solfer
Topic Author

@Highlinder No, haven't tried a factory reset, maybe I should try that now.

Tbh I've no idea if it sees the 2.4GHz band, as it never gets beyond that error message. 

Solfer
Topic Author

So, seems I have done a factory reset, didn't realise that's what the orange button did when held down for 20 seconds. 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@SolferJust interesting that you are getting an error after the factory reset or was this before you did the reset?

Solfer
Topic Author

Both before, and after. It only ever says "Hmmm Something went wrong" followed by the message in my initial post. 

@SolferNormally when the factory reset is done it should then enable to the connection to take place. Are you able to switch it off and then re-start the door bell?

Solfer
Topic Author

@Highlinder That's my current conundrum.. The white set up light has been spinning for 24 hours now. I can't find any way of stopping it.

Just now been looking for a T6 driver to take the face plate off to see if there's anything underneath I can find to switch it off.

Seems I'll need to wait as I need to get the tool.. 

@Solfer  Have to wait and see if anyone else will come in with anything else that can be done to get this to work properly for you.

Solfer
Topic Author
This message was authored by Solfer This message was authored by: Solfer Answer

@Highlinder Strange update... After around 30-40 attempts, the update was suddenly successful, whilst I was in the middle of DMing Ring UK on Twitter.

Even more strange - it worked when the WiFi bands on the router were in sync mode rather than split. 🤷 I'd changed between those settings at least 10 times before, so  no idea why it suddenly worked, but happy it did! 

This message was authored by HandyAndy121 This message was authored by: HandyAndy121

Hi, I've had exactly the same issue. I've split the bands..renamed them, have numerous smart tech which needs 2.4hz and they all connect fine. Please can I ask what updat you had as I don't have one.

Thanks

Solfer
Topic Author

Hi. Not sure why I used the word "update" tbh, if I remember correctly it was purely a case of it suddenly deciding to work after multiple attempts. I think I was referring to the factory reset, rather than an update per se. Everything you're saying about your set up is exactly the same as mine.

Not much help I'm afraid as there wasn't anything specific that changed from when it wouldn't work to when it suddenly decided to work 😏

This message was authored by LeePB47002 This message was authored by: LeePB47002

Hi.

Like others l have moved from BT to Sky and had the same issues with Ring Door Bell (2nd Gen) and a Chime connecting to a new Sky Wifi box.

I have however managed to get it working , so l am putting this out there to help anyone that comes across the same issues that l faced....

I had already followed previous steps/suggestions to split out the Sky Wifi in to 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bandwidths, but I still couldn't connect either device to the Sky Wifi

I had a Netgear Wifi extender that works on a 2.4Ghz bandwidth - so l extended the Sky Wifi using this. I tried connecting the Ring Doorbell via this - but it was still unable to search and locate any networks to connect to. Then l finally noticed the "Add to hidden network" option from within Device Health - Change network on the Ring app. So l entered the Wifi extender SSID, changed security to WPA/WPA2 and entered the password. This allowed it finally connect. I then went through changing the network again to connect it directly to Sky Wifi without connecting via the extender. The Ring Doorbell was able to search for networks and connect directly to the Sky Wifi router. The same for the Chime doorbell as it was now able to connect to Sky Wifi.  

Now that l knew to use the hidden network option - l did a Google search and this does appear on the ring doorbell pages: https://support.help.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/218144403-In-app-setup-failing-due-to-router-or-mode...

So the solution is to use the Hideen Network option with the sky router seperated out in to 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bandwidths and this will get the doorbell connected. Atleast for me!

I hope this helps others.

Thanks Lee P-B

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion